National 12 - find out more...

Are lowers worth it?

Started by Jimbo41, 24 Apr 2006, 09:23

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

david g (Guest)

The mast strut does some of the stuff the lowers do and is probably more mechanically efficient, the downside is that the strut can get in the way of the jib and jibsheets while tacking.  One thing the lowers do that the strut doesn't is support the mast sideways, i.e. resisting the boom/kicker component particularly on broad reaches and runs, the effect of this sideways bend is to flatten the sail, just when you dont want it to de-power.   You could deal with this by ensuring that the mast is a tight fit at the mast gate and even consider fitting an internal sleeve in the lower part of the mast.

David

Jimbo41

David, the gate is quite tight, so there is practically no lateral movement. It's been modified by insertion of hard plastic sheaving laterally.  Also, the ram has a rubber device to prevent the jib sheet and clew tangling up. I also have the feeling that the mast is quite stiff laterally, so that the windward shroud alone might be enough to prevent depowering. I take it I could get away sailing without lowers then?

Jim N3130.

Kevin

Jimbo, you have a metal mast that is keel stepped and has a strut so you don't need lowers. I have sailed my Baggy this way for years and don't think I have been slow anywhere as a result. I have also never had a problem tacking the jib as a result of having a strut either. The advice about making sure the mast does not move sideways at deck level is key. Make sure you follow that.

Bin the lowers, the boat will be much nicer to sail without them.

Kevin

Jimbo41

Great! Now for lowers-free sailing....

Thanks kevin!

n12 Bottom Banner