National 12 - find out more...

Stan Turns

Started by John Murrell (Guest), 10 May 2006, 09:59

« previous - next »

John Murrell (Guest)

We have received the very sad news that Stan died on Sunday morning.

Stan will be remembered well by anyone who has attended any of Salcombe's Open Meetings and Regattas, not only as the assistant harbourmaster, but also by the way he was able to peddle Jean,N446, around the estuary faster than much more modern boats!

Stan died doing what he really enjoyed, bellringing. Whilst Stan has been retired for a year now, he will always be remembered and respected for his work around the Harbour, Lifeboat and in the Yacht Club.

At present we don't know any funeral arrangements, but when they are available I will let everyone know.

I am sure you will all join me in sending our best wishes to Jean, Chris, Jonathan and their families at this very sad time.

John Murrell

DavidG (Guest)

Thanks John,

Really sorry to hear about Stan, most 12 sailors will remember him sitting in a harbour masters dory keeping the fairway clear, always helpful and never officious.

Regards,

David

Dave Croft

John,

That is sad news indeed. As you know we have been regulars at Salcombe for many many years. Stan would always pass the time of day. I suspect that like me he also had a soft spot for wooden boats.

Dave C

Jimbo41

I remember going out in the Mirror with my Dad when I was 8 years old at Salcombe. A bloke passed by in a Yawl and gave us a wave, whilst we we struggling on a tight reach (no toestrap days - Mirror 14114). He asked us if everything was alright. Dad bravely said "yes thanks"  and luckily we could feather off enough wind to avoid a capsize. I asked Dad who the man was and he just said "Oh, that's Stan."

Incidentally, Stan was really into Yawls, as was his Dad, who also raced in Salcome Estuary. Stan had something to do with the construction of the first moulds for the Devon Yawl class, from a boat (SY 19?) that won the first race held outside the harbour. It is said he gave them 15 coats of varnish to make sure they were really perfect.

John Meadowcroft

This is so very sad.  Stan was a very special man.  I dont know the name of any other harbour master anywhere.  He really seemed to enjoy other people enjoying themselves on the water.  He always had time for a quick chat before the race.  I hope that SYC can come up with a suitable way to remember him.
John

n12 Bottom Banner