National 12 - find out more...

How to get a Tigress out after taking on water???

Started by Jimbo41, 08 May 2006, 09:37

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

Scenario: Winds force 4-5, gusting 6. Tigress rolls to lee (with us asleep) and glug! in the drink we go. She fills with water, and we can (just) make it back to tip her out and start again.
She has rear flaps and self bailers, but in truth she was so full aft that water just kept comming in. Seems like she is rear-heavy when this happens. Is there any technique to get enough water out of an AC bote so that she can rise up high enough to prevent further water ingress so that the self-bailers have a chance of doing the rest?

Or do I have to dig deep and get a double-bottomed boat for these conditions?  

Jim 31130

johnk

Try sailing on a reach. Once you get to 3 or 4 knots boat speed water flowing under the boat cant reach the transom flaps; then water pours out through the flaps and boat rises up and more water pours out etc.
If the rear decks are under water you need more stern buoyancy!

Jimbo41

Thanks johnk.
 We have 2 X 70kg lifesaver airbags in the rear. Unfortunately, due to the design, can't get them very much lower in the yot. Wot's the max size for this type of airbag? Anyone know? I'll then try to get max. lift in the rear with all we've got.

P.S. amazing wot strength you need just to keep her from going to  windward when she's full of water!

icecreamman

a long time ago my old fella had a Tigress and although he spent most of his time sailing inland and did not do too much swimming, he put a small, and I mean really diddy bag across the stern of the boat attached to the hog, transom and the rails that held in the bags at the stern of the boat. If memory serves me right it was something like a 25lb bag which would help you to lift the stern even if it was full of water. Despite there being a bag in the way of the transom flaps, if it was windy enough to go plink plink fizz there was enough wind to get the water out past the bag and through the flaps. Beam reaches are good to get water out.  ;)

Jimbo41

Thanks Ice cream Man!
Just ordered 2 x 90 Kg bags from P&B, put right rearward. If they don't do the trick, I'll put an additional 40Kg bag on the transom. We're a bit heavy all up you see.... ;D

Jim N3130 "Nutty Shell"

Barry

Hi Jim

We're girding our loins for a buoyancy test soon in our baggy.

A rather enthusiastic roll gybe at the weekend scooping up half the lake gave us a taste of what is to come! No wind to get us going so it was bail bail bail - which took a while.

Have you gone for the 48x14 bags? We've two 36x12(150lb) bags at the back and I was thinking of adding another small one across the back as has been said here before.

By the way does anyone know if it is possible to repair the baffle on one of these bags to stop all the puff coming out before I get the stopper in?

Barry
N3364

Jimbo41

Wonderfully innovative lot we Admirals are..... Must make life with a double bottom yot seem very boring... :P. (Pass the screwdriver love, oh, and where's that pot of varnish?) Just got to redo the thwart starboard attachment to the hull. Standing on the centreboard to right her the other day I heard an ominous "Crack". Must see how to get a screw in without going through the hull....

Jim N3130

icecreamman

Well Roly Mo the old fella may be a perfectionist, but if memory served me rightly the bag was just tied in across the stern of the boat with about ten miles of rope to the bottom fittings for the normal bags and then to an eye that he screwed in to the inside of the transom. I am sure that you could take the rope or tape to the top and bottom fittings for the bags in the stern.

Jimbo41

Hi Folks!
I'm going to do a bit of both - increase the size of the laterally and add a smallish one abaft, thanks to Rolly Mo's ideas!

Cheers one and all!!!!!

Jim N3130.

P.S. going to rename Yot "Tucking Fippy"  ;D

angus

Just a word of warning. In are China doll its not the low stern thats the problem. That soon lifts up when we get moving. Its the nexted wave. Boat stops water inside dosn't and its whoa up periscope and all that. Happy swimming.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Jimbo41

Thank goodness I just sail on a big inland lake. The only thing I've got to watch out for is the passenger steamer's rather large wake.....

Tell me angus, do you have a periscope fitted permanently to your China Doll? I know it isn't expressly forbidden in the class rules and in my case especially, I think it wouldn't be a bad idea  ;D

Jim 3130

angus

Eee Lad I wurnt out a sea (maybe all at) when it happened but At Loch tummel when an over grown ripple from a circling vulture (well rescue boat) was enough to do it! Have fun :D :D :D
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Jimbo41

Angus, you should have been quicker with the torpedos..... I have it on good authority that they also sort out Merlins, 505s, RS600s and 14s - if you can sight them quickly enough....

Down periscope and Dive Dive Dive....  :D :D :D :D

Jim N3130.

P.S. Good wind today (3Bft) but I've got some work to do on the ol' gal since the starboard plank to the thwart's come away a wee bit from the hull.... (An epoxying we will go.... (To the tune of "Nuts in May"))

Lukepiewalker

Hmmm.... while torpedoes are a viable option when faced with a symmetrical spinnakered boat the kebab stick protruding from the front of some vessels can render the torpedo operator unable to operate their weapon of choice....

Possibly leading to gybing with the shroud off....

Not that that ever happened to me....

When an Iso came rocketing towards me....

::)

n12 Bottom Banner