National 12 - find out more...

Carbon or Tin in Thunderstorm

Started by THG, 11 May 2006, 02:35

« previous - next »

THG

Just curious, last night managed to sail in big thunderstorm lots of lightening etc - had to retire too, after being in a nearly winning position 3 laps in  :'(  (smalll crew not too happy being out in all that wind / rain / flashes) - so is it any safer being struck by  lightening with a carbon or a tin rig??

Anyone knows what happens??

Kean

THG

John Murrell (Guest)

Apart from a loud bang, burst eardrums, lots of frying, going blind you rely on The Holy Grail to protect you!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you are enjoying the boat?

John

THG

John,  THG has had several visits to other places, Bristol (swimming), Avon (Swimming), Trent (drifting) and a few home sails.  Enjoying the boat and learning how to set up and get best out - last night we were going very well until.....

Kean
THG

Mikey C

Either are not good - try and find a "buddy" with a taller mast than you - one that isnt wood...

Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

philipcosson

On one of my tables for risk estimate it cites a 1:9100 risk of lightning strike. (US population). I'm assuming sailing in a thunderstorm raises this risk quite coniderably.

there are 2000 thunderstorms active at any given time arround the world. generaing 100 lightning strikes per second. a lightning bolt can be as much as 1 mile in advance of any clouds.

i would clear the water ASAP in a thunderstorm - and i'm not particularly risk averse.

Philip
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

philipcosson

afirmative to both points Roger!

Philip
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

n12 Bottom Banner