National 12 - find out more...

why the 12?

Started by jon (Guest), 22 May 2006, 12:25

« previous - next »

THG

AC is Admirals Cupper - single bottom.  They don't automatically drain like the DB (double bottoms do) - a DB is more akin to an RS200 in that it will self drain.

ACs are still competitive on in land water vs the DBs - BUT if you do capsize they are harder to get the water out.

Vintage is for the older Clinker type boats.  From what you've described you may want a Crusader / Final Chapter for inlands.  Design guide may help you too.

Kean
THG

philipcosson

Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

Roly Mo

james

Jon, are you at notts county sailing club? Ive just joined the club and bought a national 12, if you get in contact with me Id be happy to come down, take you out and let you have ago, email me on james150@gmail.com if your interested
James

Richard Pilgrim

Hi Jon,

Don't know if you are at Notts County (where there is more than one N12) but if you want to try sailing one at Trent Valley (with probably the longest traditions of N12 inland sailing) then you can contact me and I'll put you in touch with Paul Turner our Class Rep. Email me on richard.pilgrim@ntlworld.com if you like.

Richard
N3445

jon (Guest)

Hi again all,

You guys have been great.  I am at attenborough so probably closer to trent valley.  I would love to come have a look at northampton this weekend but we have a trip to rutland this week (weather depending!).  I might try and get along to TV as i hear you have a few boats and could look at different designs.  Still have to persuade my crew away from an RS but sure it can be done!

Do TV still sail on thursdays?

Thanks again all,
Jon

Tim L (Guest)

Hi Jon,

AC - Admirals Cup, basically all those boats that don't have a double floor and so sail with a bit of water in the bottom (anything pre-3416 (ish)).  There are seperate prizes (and competition is fierce!) within most events for the AC but on restricted waters AC boats are on a pretty even par with the new ones.

If you've got a budget of 1-2K a good route would be to get a decent AC boat for 1K and buy a carbon mast/new sails for it with the rest.  This'll give you a boat with great performance and if you get into 12s in a big way then you only need to get an up to date hull to put under the rig.  THe most common composites tend to be Chapters and Baggys.  The Crusader/Design 8 shape is probably superior inland but you either havce to have all wood or all GRP.  As the guys have said above you may be able to influence your club to give you a PY representative of the age of the boat but to be honest most 12s from 1970s onwards can happily sail to 1093 on a small water.

Re: RS200 - I used to sail on an open water estuary, the 200s had a three minute head start and we used to pass them before the end of the first lap (first beat in light airs...).  The spinnaker's a complete red herring - an expensive extra sail for no more speed and less excitement than a 12 on a windy reach!

Tim
N3497 Shiny Disco Balls

jon (Guest)

OK, thanks again,

I am gonna stick up for the asy boats for a sec as i own a vareo which is the most fun I've ever had in a boat by a long way although never tried a 12 :-)
The kite's may not be the most competitive on courses not designed for them and I am certainly never gonna challenge at our club even if i was the british champion, but they are great fun and on those broad reaches it's a blast.  It's not all about winning, is it?

Richard Pilgrim

Jon

Yes, TVSC do sail on Thursday evenings - come along one night if you want a go. However, it's usually a bit frantic because we're racing and that doesn't allow much time for showing people around, so it's better to contact me (or Paul maybe) beforehand because then we can arrange not to be racing that particular evening.

Cheers,

Richard

tedcordall

Giles_Edmondes-Preedy

n12 Bottom Banner