National 12 - find out more...

12 Sailing event in Bavaria 2007?

Started by Jimbo41, 27 Jun 2006, 04:03

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

Hi folks!

I am currently putting together a proposal to my club committee about a possible international 12 event on the Ammersee Bavaria, Germany. The idea is to incorporate 12 sailing into the local regatta event scene as well as giving anyone who wants try crewing  a 12 the opportunity to do so. we have a strong Junior and Senior regatta section (420's, FD, Dart 18s, Tornados, Hobbies and Windys) and the kids learn in Optimists.

http://www.esc-eching.de/

That's the club website. The view of the alps is really breathtaking at times.

We're situated on the edge of the Alps and get the corresponding changeable winds, from stormy to calm. wind changes are the norm here, which is why so many practice chess on the lake and it is a real challenge to win. In the spring to summer months we have active handicap and class racing with the other 8+ clubs on the lake. Last year we were champs, but it varies.

Food (also Veggie) and beer's good here and social and cultural too. Southern Germany is very relaxed and people like to enjoy themselves. For kids there's lots to do in the area, so I'm planning on integrating things like visits to Munich Zoo, Legoland and the German Museum. We'd also do our best with Babysitting on the lakeside.....

As for transport, one (or more) multiple boat trailers would be a possibility, since I believe Kevin Iles has one or two contacts for that. Easyjet or the equivalent for people, naturally. Here transport is either efficient public or I'd get hold of a couple of minibusses.

Times of year and duration. Well, we start in April, so there's Easter Hols, June Half term, (corresponds to our Club championship and a long distance regatta), end of August/start of september. We fold up around mid October, since the Winter starts drawing near. This year I hope to do some more Ice-Sailing..... :D

So how's about it? This would be an ideal opportunity to promote the 12...(Think international and perhaps we'll make it long-term). Then I can suggest to Anthony to come over and race the bavarian 12 fleet   ;D

Give me some (positive?) feedback/numbers/dates. Then I can start the ball rolling slowly...

Cheers :D

Jim N3130

Jimbo41

I forgot! The idea would be for 3-4 days (or even a week..)

Winds are average of 2-3, sometimes 4-6. I've been out in a 6-7 on a Dart 18...

I shall be around all the time to see everything goes to plan/interpret. Many sailors also speak good English.

Servus! Auf Wiedersehen!

Jim N3130

Kevin

Seems things are moving a little faster than I anticipated here!

As suggested by Jim, the idea is to investigate the chartering of a large trailer (10 boats?), towing vehicle and driver to deliver the boats for us. This would have the dual advantage of minimising ferry costs and allowing those who prefer to fly in and out to do so whilst others who would rather drive may do so without the complication of continental trailing regulations to worry about. At present, I have not had time to explore the likely costs but hope to do so in the next few weeks.

The idea is to have a relaxed fun time for both families and couples. Timing is obviously important but other than aiming for a school holiday and combining with some form of local regatta if possible, everything has yet to be decided.

Please do post your thoughts here. I will update the details when I have a little more to report.

Kevin

MikeDay

Sounds intriguing and in a completely non-committal kind of way, we could be interested???  Problem may come in finding a date ... need to avoid classic Twelve dates (RHYC, Salcombe, Burton Week etc) yet do it at a time of the year when people are minded to take a week off and holiday.

Mike D
N3496

Tim L (Guest)

An overseas event comes up now and again and always falls at the first hurdle of not having a contact in situ at a suitable club - here we have a really easy option of organising things, not sure whether I'll be 12 sailing next year but if I am then I'm definitely up for a trip to germany.

As for clashes Burton Week is obviously important but I don't think we should worry about leaving any other events out for a year  - the class always seems to hidebound in its choice of events and venues for the champs and the circuit gets a bit groundhog day after a few years.  Would be good to do something unusual and a good way of getting some exposure for the class.

Jimbo41

Boing! Back to the Top!

Come on folks! Where's your sense of  challenge, adventure and pioneering spirit? Culminated in doing the Times Crossword without oxygen assistance?  ::)

Give me some feedback

Jim N3130

David (Guest)

Sounds a great idea to me, but I would be unlikely to get there due to cost and  a shortage of time.

David

MikeDay

Jim

It's also worth remembering that many committed 12 sailors don't regularly peruse this discussion board.  Why don't you write about it in Ratchet - with photos of the lake, info about the sailing water and where people might camp or stay etc.  The other thing you might do is to raise it with the Twelve Committee and see if the idea would get "official" backing, perhaps in the form of allocating one of the Association trophies to the event.  Anyone considering the trip would want to be confident that there would be good sailing and a number of other Twelves there.  The best way to get that would be for several people to commit together, and I don't think you'll get that just from this website.

Mike D
N3496

Jimbo41

Mike!

Thank you for the very helpful remarks. I'm currently doing a bit of personal lobbying and the Ratchet Idea appeals as well. I'm in close contact with quite a few people, but the main thing is with the dates.

I'm also trying to get a whole range of boat types out there - mainly ACs and Double-Botties. Naturally it would be great if everyone reading this thread would spread the word about it - even if they're not thinking of coming along themselves.

Jim N3130.

philipcosson

Is the water warm? might get my other half out if it is... The kids will go out in anything - they have a different type of circulation, based on ready brek

Also need a bit of wind for the old Baggy - can't be doing with the light stuff.

I would definitely be interested - Germany is next years holiday destination anyway

Jimbo - you could make up your own trophy, my mum and dad used to play in a friendly competition between a few friends at thier golf club, for, of all things, a chamber pot! from what I remember, it became more and more lavishly decorated each year!

Philip

N3253
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

n12 Bottom Banner