National 12 - find out more...

Shrouds

Started by Mike S (Guest), 06 Jul 2006, 12:19

« previous - next »

Mike S (Guest)

Hi
On the recommendation of Grazz (and others) I'm taking out the 2 muscle boxes that control my shroud adjustment and replacing them with pulleys that will allow greater movement (and be lighter).
I'm thinking a single block above deck leading to a triple below, giving 12:1. Is that enough or should I squeeze an extra block in somewhere?

What line do people recommend for the above deck part that takes the most load?

Also probably going to take the time to add lowers. I'm thinking to use line rather than wire and tie the lowers at gooseneck level, avoiding drilling holes in the mast. Does that work or would the line slip? Can the line run through the same deck eye as the shroud? How much purchase is needed?

Cheers  
Mike
N3274

THG

Mike,

Sounds like you have muscle boxes like on my Crusader - I don't find them very adjustbale (unlike my previous) - considering doing the same although may copy Albacore way - need to lokk at theirs more closely this weekend.  Let me know what blocks etc you use and costs as I'd like to get mine changed - esp. off wind hitting shrouds is a pain (but at least we can runand beat the RS200!!).

Kean
THG

Jane Wade

Hello

I don't think 12:1 sounds sufficient, Dave has just put 32:1 on his kicker on the Scorpion.  A lot of the newer boats do use line on the lowers - it has a special name that escapes me but it basically doubles back on itself and with a few well placed stitches holds well.

Call Dave or Tom at P&B - they will know all of the technical terms and what purchase etc to use.

Jane W

Antony (Guest)

Mike,
I think that you need more than 12:1, but sitting in the office I cannot visualise what we have on our boat.  I think that we have 2:1 above deck, then 2:1 below onto a 4:1 so that sounds like 16:1.  Tom Stewart is worth a call if in doubt, if you feel guilty taking up his time you can always order some of the stuff from P&B.  

On the lowers I would say that yes you can tie them to the mast, it is not perfect but is common, and no I would not share the deck eye (in fact I would always have sheeves not eyes anyway).

Antony

Jimbo41

Kevan Bloor recommended a minimum kicker purchase of 16:1 for my Tigress.

As for lowers, we have dispensed with them, since the Kappa mast is laterally really quite stiff and we had no end of clutter and I didn't want Higher Management (The Crew) hanging things on them on a broad reach. No doubt we'll notice the difference when racing within the class, but in Bavaria you don't race against other 12s, at least not presently....... ;D This may change....

Cheers,

Jim N3130

MikeDay

Mike

Like Antony, sitting in the office, I can't remember exactly what I have on the shrouds but I'm sure it's more than 12:1.  I definitely have 3:1 above the deck (and Graham does too as I copied it from him).  We're just off on holiday for a week but if you want to come round anytime after we get back on Sat 15th July, we can set up the boat in the garden and you can take some photos.  Same applies to the lowers - the simplest thing is to take them round the mast and anchor them at the gooseneck.  Give me a call if you want to follow this up - 020 8783 9243.

Mike D
N3496

Mikey C

I only had 8:1 on my shrouds, but there is a fine adjustment doing both sides at the same time running  at 16:1
Reckon you can get away with 12:1 with no fine tune...
Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

John Meadowcroft

n12 Bottom Banner