National 12 - find out more...

Low Boom

Started by yorks, 30 Jul 2006, 06:58

« previous - next »

yorks

Hi all

I have a China Doll and sailed it for the second time today. I felt the boom is very low and slopes towards the transom.

The sails are fully up and are quite old . Could it be they have streched or is there something in the setup that could be causing this ?

Thanks

Richard Pilgrim

Take a look at your mast. It could be that it's raked too much as this would cause the stern end of the boom to point downwards. This might be caused by too much kicker or (more likely) not enough jib tension. Just an idea, but then I don't have a China Doll so I could be talking rubbish and you'll probably need to wait for advice from the Vintage Wing.

Try to get along to the Vintage meeting at Trent Valley on 23rd September. We're only down the road from you and you'll get an excellent welcome from us all here AND you can ask the best Vintage guys to take a look at Dizzy Miss Lizzie - you'll get lots of advice!

Happy sailing!

Richard Pilgrim
N3445

yorks

Hi

thanks for the reply. I dont think its the mast rake as we have very little.

I will definately try and get to the Trent event !

angus

Hi I have a china doll with a needle spar. I still have the original sails which have not been used that much, but sheeting in hard the end of the boom comes within about 6 9" of transom.
With a well used Mylar sail the boom is considerably higher.
Don't know if this helps any.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

icecreamman

How old are the sails, as this may well be your problem?

n12 Bottom Banner