National 12 - find out more...

Brass strip on bow

Started by andyp, 24 Aug 2006, 04:18

« previous - next »

andyp

Hi,

I have a nice Crusader 88 (3353) but i noticed on Sunday that the bow wasn't cutting through the water as cleanly as it used to. On closer inspection I found that the brass strip that runs down the bow from the deck to the bottom of the hull had taken a small knock and was slighly bent and off centre. Iin addition one of the screws had split the solid wooden section (sorry don't know its proper name) very slightly.

Before I just straighten the strip and screw it back on can anyone tell if it does anything? It seems to me that the boat would have a smoother bow section and be lighter without it. I guess it might not be quite so strong but the bow section looks pretty strong (unless its hollow) as it is.

After experiencing our first nose dive on a sreaming reach on Sunday anything we can do to keep the nose bouyant would help

Mike S (Guest)

I took the whole keel band off my Crusader before the hull was repainted a couple of years ago. I think it was once a requirement in the rules but no longer.
Weight saving - 850g, performance improvement - zero

Mike
N3274

Roly Mo

In these sort of conditions make sure you and your crew are well aft!  Have nosedived the Crusader 88 and the Chapter on a number of occasions the biggest risk is that you fold your mast, which is a) not pleasant and b) expensive and c) wet.  If it means hanging your bum over the transom do it.

In terms of the brass strip I wouldn't personally go for nothing at all, replacing it with aluminium will reduce weight but it is a larger section.  It does protect the boat when it's on the trailer and beach (and can reduce the effect of a bow impact in terms of the amount of repairs necessary!).

Team Roly Mo

MikeDay

You don't need the brass strip.  If you want to save weight and stay protected, go for some black nylon equivalent from P&B.  It's v. cheap and you can stick it on with impact adhesive, the odd small screw and copious quantities of tape to hold it in place till it dries.  Fill and varnish the old holes first though.

Mike D
N3496

n12 Bottom Banner