National 12 - find out more...

Sails

Started by Jon_P, 29 Aug 2006, 08:51

« previous - next »

Jon_P

3211 has found its new home in nottingham but I now desperately need a new set of sails.
Surely someone can help me out? ::)
Of course i would be happy to pay for them.

Thanks

Jon
N3211

mark533

As this seems to be a fairly common request, would it be possible to add a "gear wanted and for sale " section to the forum ?

Mark (who is also looking for a set ofsecondhand sails)

FuzzyDuck

I agree, I have been after a second hand set of sails since January and have still to find some!  Gave up on the Forum as nobody responded.

Are there none out there? (unlikely) or N12 sailors horders?

Simon
N3230
desperatly seeking sails
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

Fran G (Guest)

I may have an old jib or two.  Not sure how much use they would be.  Unfortunately I tend to shred my mainsails at some point and that prompts me to buy a new one.....  Not a particularly regular buyer of new sails.

Drop me an e-mail if interested.  The jib (or possibly two) are in Putney and free to a good home.

Fran

e-mail is francesgifford"at"hotmail.com (please put something relevant in title other than cheapmedsforyou.  Much as I like Meds I don't think I want lots of him cheap).

Antony (Guest)

Simon,
I do sell mine, always having two suits.  This year I did not buy any and so have not sold any.  Demand is such that I have already pre-sold my current second set for delivery when I have no further need for them as spares.  This is a very tight market.  If there are only about 25 or 30 new suits a year, and several hundred 12s sailing at a club somewhere in the country every weekend then it is not surprising that the market is tight!

The good news is that the minor changes to the ratios agreed at the AGM might mean more people buy sails for the  2007 season, and so more old sails coming onto the market.

Antony
N3484

Jon_P

if we went for a new set how much are we talking about?
are any cheaoer than other??

andyp

FuzzyDuck

It must be N12 mainsails have short lives.  My boat came with 3 good jibs and 1 mainsail that is feeling very sorry for itself.  I estimate it must be at least 10 years old, and used to be white!

Can't stretch to a new main so will have to carry on till this one dies or more mainsails become available.

Simon
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

MikeDay

I think you'll find the reason why there are more jibs around than mains is that a new jib makes more difference to boat speed than a new main.  You can keep a main going until it begins to fall apart without major loss of speed whereas a dacron jib loses premium shape much more quickly - so people buy them more often.

Mike D
N3496

MarkSimpson

RogerBrisley

Hi Mark,

Presumably these sails have been cut for a carbon stick and would not be appropriate for a tinstick?

Roger

MarkSimpson

Roger
There were made for the carbon mast on our boat, but may be okay on a metal mast as they have lost some of their shape.  I can bring them to Derwent if you want to have a look?

Mark

n12 Bottom Banner