National 12 - find out more...

First sail in 3490

Started by rick perkins, 15 Sep 2006, 09:27

« previous - next »

MikeDay

Rick

One or two people use hikers - I never have - but I think most people don't as the side decks are pretty comfortable compared to Lasers and other flat decked boats.  Maybe the other reason is that in a Twelve, because it's quite tippy and sensitive to changes in wind and waves you're constantly adjusting the way you sit out, maybe moving a bit forward or a bit back, sometimes half in then half out, especially when it's not blowing consistently.  In my experience of sailing Lasers, you plonk yourself on the side deck, feet under the strap, and then change your upper body only.  Here, kikers give you a nice protected stable platform.  I wouldn't want to use them in a Twelve as I'd feel that my felt contact with the boat was being dulled (though I do always use neoprene shorts plus some funky Henri Lloyd sailing overshorts with a discreetly padded bottom)

Oh, and Kevin, thanks for the tip about the mirror.  I shall be ordering mine from P&B directly!

Mike D
N3496

John Meadowcroft

I sail with hikers both in the 12 and the OK.  Rich Williams wears his too in both the 12 and the Laser.  I can't claim to hike as hard as Rich, but it seems to me that it helps us both go upwind.  Unclear as to how important the hiking is as the pies are but that is another story

meds.

Jimbo41

Mike, your hiking apparell does sound a little kinky  :K)
But I agree that wearing hikers prevents bonding with the boat ... :P

I'm begining to sound like David Attenborough: "..and it is here, deep in the mangrove swamps of south-east Asia that this National 12 bonding ritual takes place - without of course, hiking trousers....The registering of slight changes in boat heel due to wave and wind fluctuations has caused the N12 sailors' thigh muscles to evolve in quite a different way to those of the laser sailor... "

I don't need 'em either - I'm heavy enough to have a significant righting moment and so hardly ever have to hike too hard out.  ;D ;D

Jim N3130 (No quarter for plastic fantastics)

sinker24

hi Rich,
Was it you i saw capsize off Whitstable today? Fantastic Capsize although the Seasalter pub Brigade were enjoying the spectacle from the beach at the Neptune.  I had similar problems in my Laser, capsizing just before you did!
Ben
N2743
Laser 21498

rick perkins

Yeah that was us ... ;D

Nice death roll on the run. At least we have a bit of capsize experience in the boat now.

Getting on quite well upwind and on the reachs but still finding the run pretty challenging - once it starts roling a bit quite hard to dampen it all down...

We'll be out again tomorrow ...

Rick
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

n12 Bottom Banner