National 12 - find out more...

Weight changes?????

Started by Jimbo41, 04 Oct 2006, 12:32

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

Mikey C

Gavin's flaps and I presume hollow bow area got banned during the Tom Edom catamaran panic attack. He couldn't do them again on a new boat, but as he was measured beforehand can keep them on that one. The hollows rule change went over and above the call of duty.

The hull shape is not where development has stifled. Weight is an easy one to pick on as it doesnt mean much change to the competitive boats but as soon as you start talking about masts and sails everyone starts running crazy that people wont be able to keep up with a cash war... Hulls are far more expensive and less modular than rigs - cant replace bits at a time. Maybe I should be grumbling about that instead!

Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

Jimbo42

philipcosson

someone tell us the story about tom edom and catamarans please.

Philip
N3253
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

philipcosson

why did the canting rig on radical edward not gain acceptance Mike? was it the extra weight, increased windage, or something else?

Philip
N3253
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

John Meadowcroft

Mike,

I think that you are wrong.  I do not believe that any aspect of Gavin's original design is no longer allowed following a design change.  My understanding of the 'Tom Edom catamaran situation' was that it did not apply to any boat built at that time.  However, Tim Knight's sail reinforcement concept was banned by a rule change.  

With respect to your comment about Gavin's boat, please can you explain in more detail.  I think that the rule change that you are referring to is the Topsides rule (5.3 in the old rules, 5.2 in the current version.)  My reading of the rule is that it refers to skin.  The whole point about Gavin's boat was that it had no skin, therefore no hollow could be measured as to have a hollow first requires you to have skin.  So what am I missing that outlawed Gavin's boat?

Philip - the Catamaran was something that was believed to be possible upon review of the wording of the rule change that removed the requirement to have a keel and bilge keels.  The design that complied with the rewritten rule was catamaran like.

John.

Mikey C

In the absence of hull there is no hollow. Fair enough, I can understand that, but the previous wording of the hollows rule allowed transverse hollows in the hull shape in the front (metre maybe, cant remember) of the hull. This would allow the hull flaps that Gavin has in his current configuration. That rule got wiped away comepletely where there were simpler solutions that Tom himself suggested.
Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

janeysailor12

Jimbo....WHY have you bought Passion Pudding???  Have you not got your head around the Tigress yet??  or are you going to sail with one boat on each foot  :D

Janey

P.S. I've bought a B14.......and the Hull's only 65 Kilos HA HA!!

Antony (Guest)

Janey,
To compare you have to weight the racks, we have very wide boats for the same reason, and arguably the mast.  I  hsd two B14s and was surprised how heavy they felt.  They are great boats, do not get me wrong we had fun, but they are not as refined as a 12.  The most interesting thing is that the sensation of speed is nothing like that of a 12 going half as fast.  You obviously know this but the key to the 12 is that although they are not that fast they are so sensitive that they feel fast, a bit like a go-kart vs sitting in a very fast hatchback.

Enjoy it, but never sell the 12.

Antony

Jimbo41

janeysailor12

No Jimbo the reason I've bought The B14 is I fancy a challenge, and I'm getting a bit bored with only the Dangly pole and the Jib.  Mind you I may have shot myself in the preverbial foot here.  On the B14 I have to do the Spinnaker (all 50 square meters of it!!) the Outhaul, the cunningham, the kicker, as well as the Jib!!  So no excuse for getting bored then!  

Janey

Jimbo42

n12 Bottom Banner