National 12 - find out more...

Salcombe Y.C Open

Started by rick perkins, 09 Oct 2006, 07:47

« previous - next »

simon ballantine

[quote by=John_Meadowcroft link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool,m=1160419672,s=27 date=1161598006]John
hope that you are up and running soon.  how many did Keri have on board?
meds[/quote]

Keri sailed with his 8 year old daughter Freya for race 1 and 2, but after 5 capsizes Freya very sensibly mutinied.  My son Tom then shamelessly abandonned my boat in favour of Keri's for race 3.   Seems these kids have their heads screwed on the right way!

The wind was outrageously strong and I've never sailed so fast in my life.  My wife (heavyweight crew) had also mutinied, leaving me with 10 year-old Peter to help hold the boat down.  I just had to do the run down to No.7 on the second time around even though I knew I didn't have the stamina or the crew weight (or more realistically, the ability) to get back up through the Bag again.  

Norman and Karen in Moby Quick bust their mast in a gust which blew out their jib window and capsized the whole fleet.  The 3 rescue boats worked flat out recovering 12's and Solos but everyone seemed to be grinning.  I didn't finish a single race, but I loved it!

Jimbo41

Sounds like most had a lot of fun. Any pics for posting on our website? Its always nice to see the Kingsbridge Estuary and  Salcombe from here..

Cheers,

Jim N3130 (wood - a chip off the old block..)

simon ballantine

We took the video camera down and planned to take it out in the rescue boats but the boats were too busy rescueing.  We didn't dare take the camaera out of the waterproof bag...its hard to describe just how wet the weekend was!

Jimbo41

Yeah!

Dad said it was chucking it down at the weekend! Not to worry! When we come down next I'll bring an old diving camera with me and take some pice from the boat, then get the negs scanned in. That way everything stays watertight...

Cheers!

Jim N3130 (Plus 3470 after Christmas - double wood)

rick perkins

Despite the lack of finishing I enjoyed the weekend - very friendly people and a nice spot to visit; must be hell in the summer with all the crowds though.

I can say without doubt that is the strongest winds I have sailed in for some time. The run to 7 the second time was great; we only had a short distsance to go when te span out - not sure what we could have done.

Probably too windy for racing but worth a go as we'd driven so far.

Thanks to SYC.

Rick
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

david w (Guest)

We only got there for Sunday.

Did the first race - Will & Aurther stole the start and lead round the first mark  - we were resaonably comfortably 2nd untill a monster gust tipped us in to windward  - took a while to get sorted and going again. Started catching the middle of the fleet a bit  but went and fell in mid tack going through the bag on the way back.
2nd run to no7 we did with the plate down - too scared to go forward to put it up! A few little wobbles but we got there and back. There were lots of Solos lying in the water near the buoy.

Standing on the beach waiting for the 3rd race started to feel more like standing under a fireman's hose! Thought the only takers were us and Will - there didn't seem to be much enthusiasm for another race in either boat so we headed back towards Batson planing under the jib alone occassionaly. Should have waited a bit longer on the beach and would have realised that there was a race to be had ! I gather it was a very brief one to Blackstone and back.

Great to be sailing a Salcombe again which will always be one of my all time favorites!

Cheers

Tom Jefferies

sounds like salcombe was back to its boat breaking best! shame i couldnt make it this year. im a little worried i might forget what my 12 looks like! anyway hope to make it back onto the circuit next year.
tommo
n3229
N3438

n12 Bottom Banner