National 12 - find out more...

Repy to jimbo

Started by janeysailor12, 23 Oct 2006, 01:39

« previous - next »

janeysailor12

Hi jimbo I've decided to create a new thread for my reply to your last Mail, as the thread we were posting on was really about weight....a subject which I am not prepared to make any further comment on.  
Anyway you suggested if I was bored I should try helmig....tried it...loved it.  You also commented on what was wrong with"tickling" the boat along.  Seriously Jim if, you spent as many years as I have scruched up the front of a Crusader, in 5 iches of freezing water and no wind, constantly moving your weight up and down, in and out, and forwards an backwards to "tickle" the boat along a bit faster, not to mention sheeting the jib in or out ONE click just to get the tall tales exactly right, tweaking various bits of string...you'd know ALL about tickling the boat along.  It IS an art....an art that I LOVE and I am in NO WAY temped to part with my 12, just because of the immense satisfaction of getting that little bit extra speed and cruising past people who ar just wallowing.  Also the sheer speed of the 12 when she does sit up and go is amazing.  All the spray and twitchiness just adds to excitement of it all!!  Going fast in ANYTHING aint boring!!  Which is where the B14 comes in.  Just now and again I want to go out, and go ballistic, and that's why I bought it.  Incedentally I took it out on Saturday on our "pond" and, given the small stretch we have to sail on had a pretty good blast.  It DID feel faster than the 12 but without all the spray, until that is..Mike got "tea bagged" on the tramps....several times.  It all boils down to "Horses for Courses"  For sheer scary speed it's the B14 every time, and for refined skill it HAS to be the 12.  I'd call it a thinking man's (or woman's) boat.

Janey

Jimbo42

n12 Bottom Banner