National 12 - find out more...

Grafham Water

Started by Jon_P, 19 Oct 2006, 10:16

« previous - next »

Jon_P

Hi all,

The tow hitch is finally being sorted on the car so travelling will begin!
The next event that is not a billion miles away for us is Grafham Water.  This would be our first meet in the 12 and have only ever sailed her at our local club where rules are not exactly strict!

What do I need to do to be legal?!  I have a measurement certificate that doesn;t look like it has been touched.  What about sai/weightl measurements etc?

Thanks in advance,
Jon
N3211

Antony (Guest)

Jon,
A lighting set, the police hate it if you travel without one.

More seriously, as long as you promise not to win any significant prizes the most important thing is to turn up and have a good time.  

Very simplistically if you have a wooden crusader with a metal mast it is almost impossible for the boat to be too light, and if you use two sails that were originally bought together to be used together then they are unlikely to be too big in combination.  Problems arise when people mix suits of sails, and accidentally use a big jib and a big mainsail together.

If there is anything in particular you are worried about let us know and somebody can take a look.  

Be good to see you there,
Antony
N3484, oh and Chairman

Jon_P

Right, how would I have a clue if they were meant to be together?!
I think my main has somehting scribbled in the corner, I assume they both should have, not sure if they are from the same pair will have to have a look this wkd.

What about costs?  Do I have to be an association member to race?  I can't see the point in paying out for 2006 membership in Oct.

I will definately be there just depends on whether 3211 follows! (my crew has become a little weather dependant?!) I am coming to take a look at a set of sails a kind man has offered.

Antony (Guest)

Jon,
If the sails are the same age and the same make then assume nothing to worry about.

NTOA membership is a bargain and everybody should join.  That said you do need to be a member to sail at Gill events, but as Chairman I suggest that you join now and I will ask Michael to make you a member through until the end of 2007.  Although not strictly how the rules are meant to work it is only a week or so from Grafham until November when you can join for next year anyway.

This offer applies to anybody that wants to join the NTOA now for 2007.  I think that I should consult my committee on this one but I am sure they will not object!

Antony

Jon_P

What about different make different age?!
Just had a look at some photos and definately different makes so that might put a dampener on things.
Good news about the membership though.
Jon :-(

Antony (Guest)

Jon,
I would not worry too much.  

The correct answer is to see if the area number on the jib is still legible.  If it is then you can compare this with either the number on the boom or the max jib area on the certificate.  If it is not legilble then in theory you need to have the sail remeasured if you are worried.

As I said before, come sailing and enjoy it!
Antony

Jimbo41

Nah Jon, don't worry about it.

What counts is being there and doing the bizz and of course getting a buzz out of it...

It's not the speed it's that (nearly) unbearable lightness of being in a 12 that counts..

Shame I can't play too  :'(

Jim N3130 (All the better if it's wood of course!)

andyp

Jon_P

Out of interest how many ACs do you expect?
Jon

DavidW

Andy

I'm sure there will be plenty of gurus there happy to pass on ther knowledge.

See you there.

Cheers
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

Mike S (Guest)

Is it an 11am start?? Grafham site has it down as 10am!!

Mike
N3274

Jon_P

Me again!
Another few questions, how many races are there? what times? How long is typical race?
Looking like my crew might be persuaded,  ;D
But might be limited to 2 races  :'(

Chtou Chtou's first outing!!! woo hoo!!

If anyone wants to take us under their wing it'd be appreciated!  ::)
Thanks
Jon and Sarah
N3211

Antony (Guest)

Jon/Mike

The Gill Series pack says 11.00 first race, and 3 races with two to count.  I suspect that Kevin will be on this site soon with any more details, but that is basically all that you need to know.  The races are about an hour each and in the past it has been a great day of sailing.

Jon, depending on my logistics for the day I would be happy to 'take you under a wing'.  I will confirm tomorrow when family plans etc. are clearer.

Antony

Kevin

First start will be 11.00. I am in the process of finalising a few points with the club and should be able to post full details here tomorrow (probably a new thread). My fault it is so late, I have been rather busy of late.

Kevin

n12 Bottom Banner