National 12 - find out more...

web site or newsletter - why both?

Started by jammy dodger, 12 Oct 2006, 05:04

« previous - next »

jammy dodger

Got a lot of email today, well done! Now I have something to work on... but more is welcome. I will ask in the next Ratchet that the non web members a) use the web site and b) send me their stories. I believe strongly the web site is the heart beat of this or any class and the best form of communication we can have. The magazine is perhaps could/should become redundant if everyone joined in with what is clearly an extremely well managed and up to date web site.
I personally find all I want on the web site, it is always up to date and makes me think why we need to waste several trees worth sending out information that is always available in an easily accessed media.
What do you think?

rick perkins

With the Musto Skiffs we update the website very often and couple that with a once per month eNews letter. Plus the odd one-off eNews about a big event ...

We have no paper newsletter.

To subscribe to see how it works go here ...

http://www.mustoskiff.com/sub-pages/newsletter-group.htm

The good thing about this is that our readership is about 3x the number of boats sold as it dosn't really cost much more to send this to loads of people rather than just the members.

So .. it becomes a good marketing tool.

I also know who has read it and what articles they read and so we can develop the content further.

This is quite time consuming and we are lucky that Victor Boats support the MPSCA and pay for this work.

The downside of course is that not every one is web savvy and I suspect this is a bigger issue in a traditional class.

Rick
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

THG

:B Always seem to reply to this stuff!! :B

Anyway - I think there's an opportunity to combine.  We could go 'green' and have an electronic Ratchet (maybe PDF format) so people can download their own and then mail out / distribute hard copies to those that want them.

I think there is a place to have 'published' articles which probably need an editor and can be used to provide a mechanism to provide access to non-web users, provide information to publicise class at local Clubs etc.

Personally I think the web site could be developed even more to provide resources which people would find useful - some Classes do better than others - already we have one of the best - but 'borrowing' ideas from others is OK - after all many of them have borrowed 12 ideas from our boats!!

The web site can provide good interaction but still represents a small % of all the 12ss but maybe many of the active ones - who knows!!!!

Kean
BIG Member!
THG

Martin

I am the editor of our sailing club's newsletter.  I have a circulation list of approx 80 of which just 10 receive a paper copy.  The remainder are content to receive their newsletter by email in PDF format.

The only comment I would make is that if you go down this road make the newsletter screen friendly ie no columns as it becomes a pain to read unless you print it of.

angus

I think there is still a need for a news letter even if it does become electronic and remeber not all of us are on broad band, Photos are a right pain over dial up.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Antony (Guest)

This was an interesting thread.  Does anybody else have tuppence to add before the General Commitee meet on November 4th?  

I am especially interested to hear from people that do not use the website or Forum... tough to access them through this medium!  IF any readers of this know keen members that are not internet users then perhaps you could consult those members for their views on the combination of website/email/Ratchet & the magazine?

Antony
Chairman, NTOA

Jon_P

You could try using Yahoo groups.

We use it a lot at our club.  It's basically a posh mailing list.  My club  members chose whether they wanted an electronic copy or paper copy.  And I think about 75% wanted electronic at our club.  It might be a bit different with the 12 because people might want to keep them as a reccord.
It's sent out as a pdf.

You can also share files on it aswel if wanted and photos.

The moderator can choose what permissions he wants everyone to have, whether they just receive or can send also.  It's what RS use for all theirs too.
Member's have to be added by the moderator but can apply for membership through a link.

www.groups.yahoo.com

might be worth thinking about.
Jon

STU W

12's are for life not just for christmas.

antony (Guest)

Stu,
You obviously did not read the part of my message that made those same points, and I am also guessing you do not know what is going to be in the next Ratchet.

The key to me is to use the limited resources of the NTOA in the best ways possible, and if technology has changed we should consider moving with it.   The number of people that do not have email is now very low (even Michael Brookman uses it now), the number of people that do not visit the website is probably much higher.

Your comments are noted,
Antony

STU W

Ok I can see that this would save money for the association but how would this money be spent and how would I as a member who is not active on the open circuit benifit from this???
The only thing I get from the association at present for my membership is the news letter and ratchet, rather an expensive bit of paperwork but I think well worth it.
If this is taken away I will probably not renew my membership because I can have access to the website free of charge and can keep in general touch through these pages and the website as it is. I enjoy the members area but it is no substitute for the news letter/ratchet.
It seems this would be a win win situation for active members who have the time and finances to go to opens/champs as there would be more money in the pot for prizes etc, cos what else will we spend everybodies money on, and remember it is everybodies money however active thewy are in the fleet.
It will be a big lose/lose situation for members like me, with a young family and skint   where the money given to the association is a struggle and a struggle to justify to the wife and kids when they go without, what benifit would it be for me, I would end up with a lot less. I look forewards to somebody refuting this and telling me all the benifits I and others in my situation will gain. Hope i am wrong and people will come up with lots of benefits because I am sure the majority of members are in my situation and only really take part in club racing with no imput from the NTOA.

Stuart Walsh N3317
12's are for life not just for christmas.

Martin

Email it to those who are content to receive it that way.  Snail mail to everyone else.  Give people the choice!

angus

I Like the hard copy, I can't see the computer when I'm having a crap. Not even if I got broad band I couldn't do that.
Bye the way there is a nice ToY and China Doll on ebay if anybody is interested.
And jimbo I agree with mikey carbon weeve looks cool so woods not all that s good,
sorry I'm seem to be adding to more than onr thread tonight, too much of the amber nectar no doubt. ??)
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

jammy dodger

Thanks for comments so far. I will be putting this proposal forward in the next issue of Ratchet, that's a good idea to ask people to write in and I'll get any replies sent to Antony.
Just for the record, I innocently volunteered to do Ratchet thinking it would take a few hours or so... wrong  :(... it is taking about a week to sort and assemble and that is a lot of time for a self employed yacht broker with a hell of a lot going on in my life.
I am very keen to keep the newsletter going, but I cannot produce more than two or so a year without major stress or selling the boat and using my rare spare weekends to do it (that is when I'm not driving someone to something somewhere). Now we have the rugby season I haven't seen the boat  for three to four weeks  :'(.
I had to scream and shout very loudly to get the articles I wanted, I am still waiting for one bit to appear (you know who you are!!!). Everything finally turned up last week,  much of it needing some serious editing! so I am desparately trying to get it finished and to Michael next week.
Anyway, I hope it will give you hours of pleasure in the heads (that's a boat toilet).
Simon
N3470 - sold
What next?

n12 Bottom Banner