National 12 - find out more...

New jib advice

Started by THG, 08 Nov 2006, 06:21

« previous - next »

THG

Just wanted some advice - have 3 fairly good main sails but the jibs are all older and general consensus is they need repalcing first.  The 3 mains are all different makes, Musto, Rowsell (I think) and P&B - the boom measurement shows my max jib size allowed.  Does it matter that I swap the mains around - do I need to tell the new sail maker any other details to help get best result? Probably going to P&B for their current 15% discount.

OR should I hold on and try to get a more recent set of 2nd hand sails??

Have some funds but new set is too much right now (even with discount).

Kean

THG

Jimbo42

MikeDay

DavidW

Kean

You are likely to find that one of your mains fits closer to the coloured bands on mast and boom than the others. The max jib area is calculated from these bands as it is the area left once the main has been measured. If there is much variation in your mains it may be worth deciding which you are most likely to use and ensuring that the bands are right for that - this will then give you the max jib area. My point is that if you happen to have one tired bigger main you might choose to discard it and move a band giving you the potential for a slightly bigger jib.

cheers

David
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

DavidW

Kean

I would also echo Mike's comment that a new jib is well worth the investment (even if just for the lovely crackling sound you get wih every tack!). I your mains are fairly decent that's the route I would take, as indeed I did this year. Great morale booster for your crew too!

Turning to swapping mains around all you have to watch for is that they stay within the coloured bands.

Cheers again

David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

JohnMurrell

Kean,

the bands on the ex-carbon spar were for the P&B main and the Rowsell jib is nearly to Max f I remember correctly. Also don't forget that the Rowsell luff lengths are different to P&B - Tom increased the length on the one he made for me. Its also worth giving Frank a call - my spies tell me that he can still do a decent discount...............................

John

THG

THG

n12 Bottom Banner