National 12 - find out more...

We are being invaded....

Started by Jimbo42, 02 Dec 2006, 11:23

« previous - next »

Jimbo42

Can we do something about these spam postings?

Jim N3130 and N3470  ??)

rick perkins

regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

Jimbo41

How's about systematically blocking guest user names with just an email address as a designation?

Any thoughts,  Grazz?

Jim N3130 and N3470

sinker24

Argh, yet more. Any way we can get rid of these pests?
Ben (no longer N2743 :'()

icecreamman

I'm with anyone who can sort any way of getting rid of this annoying problem and I am certain I am not in a minority

Alex D

Firstly I realise the benefits of allowing guests to post, but I know some forums that have been destroyed by spam postings.

One option is to create a guest account with password that needs to be checked and changed periodically and use this instead of allowing all guests to post.

The other option ( more effort)  is that some sites ask you to type in the alpha numeric equivalent of some image of random characters at time of posting. If someone (Grazz ? ) sends me a link to the software running the site and the version, I may be able to find the necessary skills to add the features for us.
Alex <br />(ex N3455, N3246)

Jon_P

Is it just because they have found where we are, if we changed it to a slightly different url would that work?  e.g.http://www.national12.org/blahdocs/blah/blah.shtml

Not sure how these critters work but it might help.

grazz

I'll try banning them by IP address and key word for the time being. But if it continues we might either change the name or enforce sign up to post

Hopefully Alex D might be able to help

rick perkins

I have had terrible trouble with these on the Musto Skiff forum.

These are not people but spambots roaming the internet looking for forums.

phpBB based forums suffer much worse.

I now approve in person any new members to the forum and guests can not post ... it's easier than trying to battle the spambots....

Rick
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

philipcosson

Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

Adele

Grazz, can i give you a ring about this on Sunday evening? I've got a free day duing the next week, so can have a look at stopping this. Either by looking at adding some sort of CAPTCHA support (obscured letters/numbers you have to put in to post) or cook up something.

Andy Douglas

grazz

I've changed the address of the discussion board so let's see how long that keeps the evil spam bots a bay

As a normal user you shouldn't see a difference but the URL behind the scenes has changed

mark533

I had this problem with another class forum, so first thing in the morning deleted the spam, it stopped after a month or so

n12 Bottom Banner