National 12 - find out more...

N3199 Double Trouble

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 18 Feb 2007, 01:52

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3199 Double Trouble.   Design: Trouble Shooter, designed by: Peter Diamond in 1982
Previous boat names: Gregory's Girl, Cool Beanz.

glyndew02

hi just thought i would add to this boat as i own it and thought it would be nice to give some details on the boat for anyone who is interested. we bought the boat about 5 years ago from one our friends who as it happens built the boat. the boat has been kept in top condition and it is defenatly something to look at. it is stored in a barn when not being used and is painted and varnished yearly.
since we (my brother and i) have owned it we have changed the rig and boom for carbon had nice new race sails made and upgraded all the deck gear to top of the range harken.
we have now changed the name though from gregory's girl to COOL BEANZ.
next we hope to change the rudder, dagger board and a frame to carbon.
the pictures that are attached were taken last year 06 since then we have resprayed the hull shappire blue and graphite gray. we hope to get the boat out and about abit more and hopefully enter some 12 events.
if anyone has any questions the please feel free to email me at glyndew02@yahoo.com
sorry i have no picture small enough to attach and i don't know how to shrink them.

philipcosson

Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

mutt

I sailed gregory's girl in the nationals a few years ago. lovely boat as you describe. We had a good few comments on its 'bus' like dimensions but that was before the Wilkin's boat 'revealed' the ergonomic advantages of high freeboard. Actually Phil Diamond and Ian Gregory had that issue completely sorted in 1981.
Its good to see the rig updated but I wonder whether you'll get much advantage by replacing the gorgeous hog's and woodwork with carbon space frames. The Rig will have already gifted you a big advantage already and replacing the hull structure puts the whole hull at risk. I spoke to Ian at the time and he was very cautious about removing the Hogs' because the cold moulded hull isn't really suited to life without integral structure. Just a thought - its just great to see this boat modernised and racing again.

Matt N3486

glyn (Guest)

hi matt, thanks for your comments, the carbon work that we where going to put in to the 12 wouldn,t of been replacing any of that lovely wood work it was just going to be the a frame for the main sheet but in the end we didn't do it anyway didnt think it was worth it. but the boat is now up for sail so if anyone is interested then give me a call.

ChrisM (Guest)

Just bought 3199 from Glyn - expect to rename her and start sailing on the River Avon soon.
Chris :)

edwillett

some photos of N3199 from its eBay listing September 2012. Still looks stunning!

monkeynuts

Does anybody know the whereabouts of this 12? Ian gregory is a family friend and I remember sailing this fine 12 at Weston with him a good few years ago.

angus

Yes I own her. She is up in Scotland. Unfortunately I did some damage, the only time I sailed her put hope to have her back on the water soon. With the relapse of Reflection at the weekend I may end up taking her to Burton.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

monkeynuts

Glad she has a good home I love this 12 as much as mine. Be nice to see her at Burton week

n12 Bottom Banner