National 12 - find out more...

Y&Y Magazine Reports

Started by THG, 01 Feb 2007, 06:28

« previous - next »

Jimbo42

simon ballantine

I'm with the Y&Y editor on this one, the pages of race write-ups in Y&Y are the dullest pages imaginable.  Surely people don't read this section cover to cover?...you just home into the race you took part in to make sure they spelt your name right.  
I can't see a report of your average race enticing anyone to take up sailing a particular class of boat.  I think the page space, and our efforts would be much better spent on publishing reports of genuinely exciting races with good photos.   Better to make a big splash a handful of times a year........

On the South West theme John is spot-on..it stops at Bristol and Weymouth.  South Cerney is even within a mile of the source of the Thames, so if that's not Thames Valley I don't know what is!  No problem with areas overlapping to help people who live on the borders though, but the bulk of SW events need to be central to the SW.

rick perkins

Seems to me some of you are missing the point ... the problem here is that some turnouts are poor ...
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

Tim L (Guest)

We've been over this ground before but I think the fact Rick has flagged up this quirk (i.e. 1001 events...) as a newcomer is significant.

Maybe the SW and Scotland are special cases due to awkward geography, but the Midlands, Eastern and Thames areas are big offenders on the sub-10 boat open meeting scale.  A cull is needed or responsibility for these events completely delegated to the area reps and only Gill Series and other traditionally big turnout events included on the events list and used to publicise the class.

The Y&Y issue is academic as its a given that those classes that don't get good turnouts at their events tend not to mention it while those that do crow about it - its pretty obvious to anybody researching a potential change of class as to which is which.

Anyway at least the 12 event list is a bit more reliable than the Europe international calendar - a direct lift from the ISAF calendar (which is wrong...) with events on it that don't have a Europe class while those that do are omitted - inspired.... :)  ::)

Cheers

Tim
N3497 (for sale....)
Europe GBR346

angus

I think you pretty much hit the hammer on the head there tim as allways but i don't see any need neccesarily to abandon any opens, just to concentrate efforts on the more popular ones.
Bye the way just to show what a sad person I am I roughly (cause Aa route finder don't know where sailing clubs are and neither do I. specially if they are south of watford gap) worked ou the mileage I am going to do to attend the 4 closest Gills A mear 1984 miles giving a driving time of 40hr and 16 minutes and that doesn't include getting lost. I'll have to get some carbon bits to shrink my footprint!

By the way still saving Tim
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

n12 Bottom Banner