National 12 - find out more...

shroud adjusters

Started by superfluous, 14 Feb 2007, 03:10

« previous - next »

janeysailor12

Oh TELL me about it....Mike fiddles constantly with the rig when we are sailing...it's the nature of the beast (the boat beast not Mike the beast  ;D).  As for hiking there's a saying in the 12 fleet (and most other fleets I suspect) that goes back years....in fact I understand back in the dim and distant past (Mike assures me) it was even emblazend on a T Shirt.....it goes "KEEP IT FLAT" and along with all the tweaking and fiddling that goes on it is ABSOLUTLY IMPERATIVE that you keep the boat flat.  So you hike out matey, and keep hiking and make sure your crew hikes out too!!!! Poo stylee is the best I recon....(my bum is nearly always wet on really windy days......make of that what you will) and I have the most amazing calf muscles...for a girleeeee.  A National 12 sailing on its sides does NOT give for maximum performance whatever direction you're going in.  

Janey

THG

I understood how Davidg got his 32:1 and managed to draw it out.  Anyone got any pics r advise / help on how you do the system Tom has / John wants with 3:1 above decks etc.  Bear in mind have an older wood Crusader so this may not be advisable to do.  This is one area we seem to lack having some good setup guides (sails etc are there) but show some options from a few of the designs in terms of setting up esp. mast bend / shrouds as it has big impact.  I know my current muscle boxes are useless and they need to go.

Kean
THG

MikeDay

As above, max travel vital for dead run to get the boom as far forward as poss.  Actually, it's the lowers meeting the kicker which prvents my boom going any further.  I also use 3:1 above deck - it works well.  Our strings exit on to the top of the plate case and cleat just in front of the thwart.  That way, they're accessible for helm and crew, most of the time.  You want a block after the cleat so it can be pulled in from any angle.

Mike D
N3496

hairy dog

what about travellers for the shroud bases to run on?  These always looked effective to enable the boom to go right out.
NS14's tend to have them (although for slightly different reasons) and give another thing to tweak ;)
get a Mungral up ya! :o

Jon_P

Not so nice for the crew to sit on when hiking upwind!!

n12 Bottom Banner