National 12 - find out more...

N2304 Lysistrata

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 18 May 2008, 03:43

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2304 Lysistrata. Design: Mark 11A, designed by: Ian Proctor in 1962

edwillett

For sale on Apollo Duck website as at March 2010
Ad reads "National 12, clinker built Proctor Mk II A, 1965 with new foredecks and strakes in 2008, all varnished throughout and regularly sailed, including through the winter. Sail number 2304. New overboom cover in 2004. New trailer wheels."

Dave Croft

I had the pleasure of owning Lysistrata for a few years.
Around 1998 a friend asked me to help get an "old boat" out of their garage. The garage was falling down and was to be re-built. I recognised the boat stright away as I knew the first owner. Richard Brammal who owned this boat from new and sailed her regularly at Twickenham for many years. She passed on to other Twickenham memebers until she ended up with Dom Wells who took all the fittings off and the boat back to bare wood but didn't get any further. I spent some time re-varnishing and re-fitting her with the idea of getting her back on the water and hopefully getting her a new owner.
We completed the work and she was sailed a few times by me and loaned to others. I remember Graham Camm sailed her in the Twickenham Open once. We sailed her with some success in the Twickenham Regatta and at a couple of open meetings. Our best effort was winning the Vintage Inlands in 2001 when I was crewed by my daughter Caroline (only 6 years old at the time). We were a bit overpowered at times but flew down-wind. Caroline still remembers this event well, she has gone on to sail her Cadet with some success in more recent years.
I would say that the Proctor 11a is probably the best Ian Proctor N12, in the same way as his 9b Merlin. In terms of Vintage 12's this has to be one of the best for Vintage events unless on the sea (are there any vintage events on the sea?) when a China Doll would be the 12 of choice. I also believe the Chipendale boats of that time where the best too but that's just my view, others may disagree. I would certainly like to see this boat sailing on the circuit, perhaps even at the champs. I would have kept Lysistrata except that I have a lovely Cheshire Cat, a Merlin and my children were just getting into sailing and needed boats themselves (we now have 3 Cadets in the "collection"!!!).  Dave Croft (see also 2235, 2675, 2711, 2489, 2935, 3255).

n12 Bottom Banner