National 12 - find out more...

How much heel ?

Started by sean C, 14 May 2007, 07:33

« previous - next »

sean C

MikeDay

Sean

Others will have views too but as far as I see it, if the boat tends to luff up with the rudder straight and the boat upright, you have too much rake and if it tends to bear away, the mast is too upright (or even raked forward).  So look at one of the tuning guides elsewhere on this site and set the mast up accordingly.  You might also look at the rudder angle - if it's swept back at all, it will tend to feel heavy.  You're right about the normal guidance - keep the boat flat.  There's an exception just when it's very light, when you need a bit of heel to get the sails to set.  But in in 7mph winds, there should be enough to power the boat and therefore to keep it level.

Where do you sail?  Is there a 12 club nearby where someone could have a look?

Mike D
N3496

Sean C (Guest)

Thankyou Mike - I sail at Welbeck SC in Nottinghamshire,  I am hoping to get up to the Yorkshire Ouse meet in June - so no doubt there will be a few older boats there to compare notes with. Good point about the tuning guide thank you - From your comments I am wondering if my mast is too upright. - If its not do you think it could be the mast step placement that could affect things? - I only say this as the OD on Sunday thought my boat looked well set up on the water, I think he would have noticed excessive forward rake, but maybe I need to rake back a little. - definately worth a try

Thanks again

Sean C N2154

matt (Guest)

if you find that raking the mast to the point where you can sail straight with a centred rudder, gives you to little headroom under the boom then you might need to move the mast foot back. This has the same effect as raking the mast - i.e moving the centre of effort of the sails back. Most mast foots on N12's have a couple of inches of leeway in where you foot the mast.
Matt

MikeDay

Sean

You're right that the fore/aft position of the mast step is also a factor.  Again, the tuning guides will help - the standard measurement is normally taken between the mast step and the centreboard bolt.  Remember that all of this will be dependent to some extent on your main/jib sail ratio.  You're not too far away from lots of 12 experts a bit to the south in Nottingham.  There's an active fleet at Trent Valley and also some Twelves at Notts County and Nottingham SC.  Go along one day when people are sailing, with your tape measure and camera, and check some other boats out.

Mike D
N3496

Sean C (Guest)

Thanks Matt - I am sure my various crew will thank you for that tip as well.

Sean C N2154

n12 Bottom Banner