National 12 - find out more...

N760 Bobtail

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 15 Mar 2007, 10:17

« previous - next »

Tim Gatti

Hi John - just checked out the latest pics of Bobtail on your blog.  New decks look magnificent.  Good luck with exterior - are you going for the deluxe varnish finish on that too! Tim

chalky

These are the same pictures that are on Bobtail's blog. Latest coat of varnish full of dust, buts lots work required to get the finish we all want. Waiting for timber to make trestles so I can turn her over and make a start on the bottom. Looking for a cotton jib as the one she came with is rotton...

chalky

Now upside down and the old varnish and muck is being burnt off. Nothing too nasty so far....

johnk

The bottom picture looks distorted. Surely the hull is not as deep as this - with beam ~ 4ft 6in.

Tim Gatti

There is some slight distortion but the old ones are pretty knife-like when viewed from the bow. See pics I've just added to database for N341. Tim

chalky

The hull is still slightly distorted where the trailer pushed on the planking just aft of the mast. Most of this has come out with the replaced broken ribs. The hull is very deep with lots of rocker when compared to a modern boat. interesting to compare the hull shape to a known design. I am also going to measure the rise of floor, did this rule apply in 1949? I haven't got a certificate and assume she measured to the rules when first built

chalky

Starboard side stripped and sanded. I dont have a 12 foot straight edge but 2 pictures with a 6 foot level show where the rocker is.

chalky

The keel, hog and garboards are now all reconnected, followed by 2 weeks of varnishing and light sanding.
The hull is now complete, apart from some more varnish on the decks. Next project is a new trolley.

chalky

Outside stripped and Varnished. The decks are ready for the last few coats and a new launching trolley not quite finished.

Tim Gatti

Hi John - she's looking very beautiful.  Bet you're pleased with your handiwork.  When do her new sails arrive?
Look forward to seeing pics of her relaunch.  Will you be bringing your Baggy to the Burton - hope so. P'ps see you at Dinghy Exhibtn. Tim

chalky

At last I have finished the hull and decks. It's only taken 17 months! Just the mast and a few fittings to go. I have cleared up the garage and the remains of the old decks etc have been burnt.

chalky

The finished rudder, stock and tiller. The old decks burnt well!

chalky

After 19 months work Bobtail is rebuilt, rigged and ready to launch. A slight delay in work after the Aldeburgh Boat Yard burnt down with the loss of everything including the rigging workshop.
Planning to launch Saturday evening after club racing. If you are near Aldeburgh Yacht Club tomorrow come and have a drink with us, weather permitting.

chalky

We made it to the river this afternoon and she floats! She also leaks but that's not too surprising.

n12 Bottom Banner