National 12 - find out more...

Smile 3024

Started by duncan, 04 Jun 2007, 04:34

« previous - next »

duncan

Hi All
Recently bought the above Tiger, sailing at Castle Semple (Ayrshire/Renfrewshire) & would like to know any history for the boat.  Bought it from Sam near Bolton but don't knoe if he was a member.
Thanks Duncan
Duncan,  & still missing the (liquid) bar on the 10 tonner 

JohnMurrell

Duncan,

Originally called Vanishing Smile, she was built in 1978 by Richard Lovett for D i c k  Holttum when he was sailing at Queen Mary. She was on the Twelve stand at the 1979 Pickets Lock Dinghy Show.

Bob & Maggie Murrell bought her from D i c k in 1981 when they was sailing at Staines to replace their Whisper 7. They did many of the Thames Area opens along with Salcombe and Burton weeks; thay have a great photo on their wall of them 'falling off' a wave at the '86 Burton at Exmouth. they sold her on in about 1992 when kids stoped play!

I know Ken Goddard had her for a while and noticed her on eBay at the back of last year.

She was a beautifully built boat, as one would expect from Richard Lovett and sailed very nicely. When Bob sold her on she had a Needlespar mast with Alverbank sails.

Ken Goddard (Guest)

Yes, I was an owner of N.3024. I bought her from Phil Whitehead at Yeadon S.C. and sold her in 2002 to a chap in Wilmslow, Cheshire - name forgotten. It was I who shortened her name to "Smile", as in Smile-on-the-face-of--the-Tiger (design). I thought she was a rather nice boat to sail but suffered from having a Needlespar mast and rather tired sails. I have quite a nice image of her sailing in a race at Trent Valley and one or two other things like copies of earlier certificates.

regards
Ken Goddard
N.2300 "Duodecimal"

angus

Good to hear of another 12 making its way north of the border are you going to come to Bardowie 14th 15th july I think and what about Tummel week about 23rd july onwards.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

n12 Bottom Banner