National 12 - find out more...

Flicking the top batten AC style

Started by THG, 07 Jun 2007, 01:41

« previous - next »

THG

Didn't realise until yesterday that one of the jobs of the crew that goes up the mast on the Americas Cup boat is to 'kick the battens across when tacking / gybing'.

Is this allowed on my 'AC' - assuming that I can send a small child crew up the mast to spot windshifts and for batten flicking?

Kean

THG

Antony

Can I be there when you try?

Antony

tedcordall

Its rather like the game the children play to see who can shin furthest up a topper mast before the inevitable occurs.

Cool job though, standing on the spreaders and handing the spinaker across. Sadly the AC boats don't venture out in broaching weather.

duncan

re climbing the topper mast, saw that at a Sonata nationals I attended many years ago, which was jointly sponsored by a whisky company & the milk board.  It certainly woke up some of the crew (if they actually knew what they were doing) before going out to race.  Like the idea sending the kids up, would save on showers when the kids are told to do a 360 roll.  Duncan
Duncan,  & still missing the (liquid) bar on the 10 tonner 

Roly Mo

One of our Scottish brethren was pretty practised at standing his Laser nearly on it's transom, which was always good fun to watch!

A good roll in to windward was always thought to be the  best cure for a hangover!  As I've got older we've found Nurofen to be a much drier solution (the ultimate dry solution being not to drink in the first place . . . .)

RM

angus

All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

n12 Bottom Banner