National 12 - find out more...

N3024 Smiling Tiger

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 01 Mar 2007, 04:28

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3024 Smiling Tiger. Design: Tiger, designed by: Michael Jackson in 1978
Previous boat names: Vanishing Smile, Belukha, Vanishing Smile, Smile.

duncan

Duncan,  & still missing the (liquid) bar on the 10 tonner 

Ken Goddard

Duncan,
for your information, the first owner of N.3024, was Richard Holttum, and the second I think was Richard Murrell, who is still sailing Twelves - see Handbook.
Ken Goddard

JohnMurrell

Oooops - Try Bob Murrell!!!!!!!!!!

BobMurrell

I bought Vanishing Smile from Richard Holtum in 1984 and sailed her with my wife Maggie crewing (even when pregnant!). We did a few opens in the Thames area and also 1986 Exmouth Burton Week. Due to lack of time with a growing family I sold her in 1986. The photo attached was taken at Exmouth.

Ken Goddard

Here's another piece of information on N.3024. In 1990 she passed to a gentleman in Selsdon, Surrey, who's name is not readable on my copy of the Certificate, and the boat was named then
Belukha.
Ken Goddard

duncan

I sold the boat in the autumn to a young lad in Largs, who was very enthusiastic about sailing Smile.  Duncan
Duncan,  & still missing the (liquid) bar on the 10 tonner 

Young Lad from Largs

A very fun and exciting boat to sail! Unfortunatly the boat is now [or very soon will be] up for sale as I'm now staying down in Gosport as an apprentice for British Energy. The boat is currently on Loch Fyne, not far from Inverary.

David Glentworth

I saw 'Smile' (now renamed 'Smiling Tiger') advertised for sale on e-bay and despite not having sailed for years, and never having sailed a 12 before, bought her on a whim from Ryan Forster, the 'young lad from Largs'. There were no other bids, but I'm sure this was only due to the distance involved in fetching her from the far side of Loch Fyne, because she's in good condition, requiring only minor attention and some tlc, which is already underway. The boat is now based in Sheffield, and I'm very much looking forward to sailing her on Yorkshire's rivers and lakes, and eventually off the east coast, once I've remembered how to sail, learnt how to handle a 12, and stopped falling in!

Not for the boys

David
come and join us at Pennine SC just north of Sheffield, we have 2 twelves there at the moment 2652 & 3226
David Speddings

StephenM

I sailed N3024 - Vanishing Smile - in 1987/1988 at Rudyard Lake

Ryanf

Hello,
I used to own 3024, when she was on Loch Fyne.

The reason I sold her, as mentioned, was that she was beginning to require some tlc and due to work I just couldn't put in the time that she needed. It is nice to hear that she went to caring owners though.

I was wondering if anyone knows any more of her since?

Thanks, Ryan.

davglent

Hi Ryan, I still own 3024. No sooner had I purchased her than I started my own company and was working away from home for the next six years. While this allowed me to afford a professional restoration by 'The Boatyard at Beer' in Devon, I was too busy to sail her and unfortunately she has languished in the garage ever since. The crew (wife) didn't fancy sailing her after watching some N12 videos and I'm getting a bit long in the tooth (and large in the waistline) so she should now go to a good home where she'll be sailed. The restoration cost £2,500 and included a new mast. She has two sets of numbered sails, the road and launching trailer she came with from you, as well as the folder of history. If you know of anyone who might want to buy her I'd be grateful if you'd let me know. Kind regards. David Glentworth

n12 Bottom Banner