National 12 - find out more...

Salcombe YC regatta accomodation

Started by Emma G, 10 Jul 2007, 09:09

« previous - next »

Emma G

MikeDay

Accommodation in Salcombe gets under pressure - best to get organised soon.  There used  to be a campsite on the hill behind the gasworks - try the Salcombe tourist office for more info.

Mike D
N3496

Antony

Emma,
You have hit on the downside of Salcombe in August, that everybody else wants to be there too!  I think that the poor weather might have opened up some self-catering flats if you are feeling rich, try Salcome Holiday Homes or Coast & Country Cottages if that interests you.

Camping:  The recommendation people seem to give most often is to stay with the Squires at a place called Higher Rew.  Website is www.higherrew.co.uk.  They are yawl sailors and very nice, but I try not to camp and so have never been there!  It is not a walk home at night, but I think is perfectly do-able on a bike.

The week is, in the end, worth the additional hassles that come with Salcombe.  We are going to be there with the boys and some grandparents!

Antony

Jimbo41

Antony,

what about the boat situation on Millbay? Do you have to pay for overnight boat parking or does the SYC sort that out? I know carparking being National Trust is quite expensive, so we were thinking of leaving the car at the park and ride at Bonfire Hill and taking the Ferry over.

Jim.

MikeDay

Jim

When you enter, you get a sticker for your boat entitling you to leave it at Mill Bay for the week - all part of the entry fee.  Car parking behind Mill Bay is tricky becuase in fine weather, it gets full quite early and it's a devilishly long drive from Salcombe.  If you're staying on the town side, the ferry is much the easiest way to travel.

Mike D
N3496

Jimbo41

Thanks for the advice Mike. I remember trying to get a parking for a mini traveller was bad enough and the drive through Portlemouth from Kingsbridge was pretty diabolical.

Looking forward to seeing you all at BW and SYC week.

Jim et al.

Phil Brown

We've stayed at Alston Campsite, just north east of Marlborough for the Yacht Club and/or Town Regattas for the last few years. Decent site, although pitches in the overflow field are not all level (it is Devon!), the garage at Marlborough with its mini Coop is just up the road and it's easy to get to the park and ride.

Big advantage is that it's the only site in the area for which you don't have to book in advance (they don't take bookings), and even during the regatta weeks its not overcrowded and there is plenty of space.

More information from the tourist office website

http://www.salcombeinformation.co.uk/camp.htm

Happy camping!  

(sunny)
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

David_Wilkins

We have camped at both Higher Rew and Alston Farm over the years - Higher Rew wins for us - it just has a nicer feel.

A couple from Spinnaker did take bikes but found the ride very hard. I would recommend driving to the park and ride.

See you at Salcombe.

Cheers
David Wilkins<br /><br /><br />Ex 925, 2433,2730,2825,3139,3345.3405,3481

n12 Bottom Banner