National 12 - find out more...

Purchase scams?

Started by Jon_P, 27 Jul 2007, 11:01

« previous - next »

Jon_P

Hi all,

Has anyone ever had a purchase scam from the for sale section of this site?

Someone has just offered to buy Chtou Chtou in full without seeing her, was all written in slightly broken english and was talking about shipping it overseas so am a bit fearful.

Anyone know a Lora Jones?  Appologies if she is a regular 12 sailor that I have jsut offended but it all smells a bit fishy!

One line was;
    "Let me know the  working capacity and the last price it will go for.
    let me read from you soon...."

careful (Guest)

don't touch that.

If it looks shit and smells shit then it is shit.

Jon_P

kind of what i was thinking!

James Taylor

Yep I have had some of those from Scotland talked about this Shipping agent if they were genuine have put them in the trash bin on the Email.

Myself wouldn't touch but saying that if you have anyone from France they might be genuine as my Vintage Merlin went that and I though it was a scammer.

Cheers
James

N3402
N3304 (up For Sale)

jammy dodger

This is most likely a scam.
They arrange to send you a sum of money in excess of the value of the boat and you agree to pay them back the balance to another account. You then get a worthless cheque / bill of exchange and they get your refund.
Standard scam, I serve on the British Marine Federation brokers committee and we know all about this, if you have advertised on boats and outboards you will also get regular reminders of this scam.
These guys try it on with boats at any value!
Simon
N3454 (with my yacht brokers hat on)

Jon_P

You saying that 3211 is not worth much!!  :'(

Howard C (Guest)

I  had the same experience when selling Donald Acklams Starfish early this year!

Got messed about and pulled out fairly quickly as I decided it was dodgy!  Cant work out how it works except the guy told me he was owed some money and would get it sent to me so I could cash the cheque in payment then send the balance to him.  I decided it had to be some money laundering scam and dropped it quick.  My opinion "dont touch it with a barge pole"

canon fodder

Yep it is a pretty standard scam, they get a lot of them on second hand boats and outboards. I was approached this way when selling my china doll. Works as jimbo says.
sorry as jammy dodger says

n12 Bottom Banner