National 12 - find out more...

Brixham to Salcombe

Started by Derek, 17 Jul 2007, 09:35

« previous - next »

Derek

David (Guest)

Derek,

Solos are at Paignton too!  Sorry my legs are not up for it if it is a beat.

Regards,

David
S4789

simon ballantine

I won't be at Burton Week, but I will sail out from Salcombe and meet you half-way.  We have no club racing on Saturday 4th so I will try to get our 12 fleet interested in an informal race to the lighthouse.  I am sure we would be able to organise some sort of safety cover too...

At this time of year the journey from Brixham will probably be quicker by sea than by car.  

Hope there's lots of interest.

Antony

I love the idea, and am going to Salcombe for the regatta.... but Saturday is sort out the family day not do something that you really fancy doing day!  Sadly I am not even going to ask for permission as I already know that logistically it would be impossible, but will watch jealously as you sail up the harbour on arrival.

Simon, come for some of Burton Wk as a training exercise for the big event the following week.  The practice and coaching you could pick up would be invaluable.

Antony

simon ballantine

I would love to come across to Burton Week, but I can't take the week off work.  I'm pretty sure I'll be there next year, though.  If I came across just for one day would I be able to go out in one of the safety boats and pick up some tips?

I've recruited at least one more 12 to sail out to Start Point to meet you, Derick.  I'll ask the others on Saturday.

Jimbo41

Jimbo42

I really meant envious as hell.  There you have it - the English is slowly fading away.......

Fran G (Guest)

Hi Derek,

Logistics allowing, Sophie and I are pretty keen on this idea.  Every day a new adventure.

It will depend on quite a few factors I think, but hopefully the weather will help and the cars and trailers will end up in roughly the right place.....

(Its 11.34 a.m. on 20th July and it is pitch black outside my office window!!)

Fran

simon ballantine

We should have 3 boats coming out from Salcombe to meet you half way.  Give me or Norman Brown a call the night before to confirm and agree times.

Grebesailor

Sophie (Guest)

went well and was a great adventure - good breeze nearly all the way round, but had to take a short tow from our support vessel (thanks Guy, Josie and Fi - and Dave for letting them take RIB out), before sailing into salcombe estuary 6 hours after departure.

Conditions were near perfect, and an excellent way to round off a truly fantastic Burton week

Sophie

Derek

To echo what Sophie says - yes we did the trip and it was a great fun day.
Fran and Sophie in Anthony's boat and Rosie White and me in 3510.

The wind was great at the beginning ~12 - 15 kts between Berry Head and Dartmouth but faded rather towards the end.
Tide was initially against but turned in our favour as we got to Start; so that was fine.
We ended up with a tow from Gammon for a mile or so when the wind disappeared altogether.
(Bearing in mind we had just had one of the quietest Burton weeks on record, you will understand that this means no discernable direction, never mind wind speed).
We sailed the last bit up the harbour with the sea breeze behind us after a little over 6 hours.

A great fun adventure in almost perfect conditions.

Many thanks to all who made this possible and slightly less mad than it might at first seem.
Fran and Sophie for making it two boats - daft to try it alone,
Anthony for loaning Fran his boat,
Josie, Fiona and Guy for meeting us at Start and for the tow,
and Brixham YC for allowing me to leave my stuff there an exrta day and come back to get it on Saturday night.

I think Teignmouth to Salcombe is a bit far in one go unless it is blowing nicely from the east.
It is another 6-8 miles.
(Spud Rowsell has brought a yawl round from Exmouth on one occasion).
There again the temptation is not really there as the weeks do not line up.

Derek (3510)

Antony

Derek,
I think that you are wrong about the dates, the sail from Salcombe to Burton Wk 2008 may work out nicely.  Furthermore, the probablity of a nice westerly is somewhat higher.  If you leave early on Saturday you might get there for the practice race!

Antony

Derek

Anthony, et al.,
You may have a very good point there.
OK who is up for assembling a flotilla for next year then - given we have proven it can be done.
Perhaps a cruiser or two as guard - support boats to save us carrying multiple drybags of food again.
We were so lucky with the weather this time - I would be amazed if we had the same again.
Derek

Derek

Just for idle curiosity I've had a look at the tides...
It runs foul at Start from 10 until 3pm on Saturday 16th August 2008.
HW Devonport is 05:16 and 17:14 GMT.
Choices would be get up to leave before 8 am and get slack water at Start followed by adverse tide for the rest of the trip or leave about 1 pm and get the beginning of the eastbound set from start and ignore the practice race. The latter would allow you to position the car, trailer etc in the morning once the weather was more certain but might not be popular with Burton week organisers.
There is plenty of time to discuss this anyway.

Derek

n12 Bottom Banner