National 12 - find out more...

Club sailing series in the East Midlands

Started by PaulTurner 2020/2487/3157 (Guest), 14 Aug 2007, 02:01

« previous - next »

PaulTurner 2020/2487/3157 (Guest)

I don't know if I am going out on a limb here (most unlike me!) but having wandered through the results of the survey and taken a long look at the N12 profile in the East Midlands, could I offer a suggestion for the promotion of N12s in club sailing?

As there are small N12 fleets at Nottingham, Attenborough, Swarkestone and TVSC (plus possibly to include Olton, Earlswood, Carsington, Blithfield - apologies if I have missed anyone!) what about a local club racing series where the local N12s go to each club in turn (say first Sunday in each month through the summer season) and join in with the club racing at each club seeking only a separate start? This would be for club racers in their assorted vintage, 4P and AC boats who don't want to travel far, don't have competitive yots, are probably inexperienced and possibly intimidated by the fast boyz/gurlz in their DB/F1 carbon racers. This series would not to replace the existing GILL, Midlands Area or Vintage events but compliment them, attracting those who would not travel - might even get some to go to real open meetings in due course!

To encourage the club sailors we could add some training after racing? Or possibly offer "try a 12" as part of the days sailing to get others interested?

I would appreciate feed back from N12s on this before I move this forward and start to contact local clubs for their opinions/interest.

jonsue N3469

;D What a great idea Paul. John and I have been discussing this problem, and have been exploring other possibilites. We are at Carsington. We are prepared to travel to other clubs. We do have a 'cabon racer' but lack the competitive racing with other 12's and therefore the experience of 12 sailing. We are more than happy to support this. Sue

jonsue N3469

:( Oh dear Paul, not much response to your suggestion, which we sincerely feel is a great shame. Sue and John

THG

Paul,

I'm not in the area - but the idea is great for those areas that have small 'fleets' which are relatively close by and could help to support / grow the new comers to the Class.

This may be the solution to some of the issues raised by the survey in terms of area racing and support needed.  This could also be combined with more training / support esp. later into the season as some of the training is too early for the less keen / still varnishing sailors in the class.

Good luck with it and I'll keep you informed if we manage to do anything like that around the Wilts / Glos borders.

THG
THG

Ken Goddard (Guest)

Its a good idea, Paul. A serious coaching session with a class expert is a must for the area in 2008.
I wonder how many of the hoped-for attendees have got road trailers?
Although the intention will be to welcome boats of all ages, why not launch this initiative at this year's eagerly awaited Vintage + 4-plank event at Trent Valley on Sept. 22nd ?
Regards
Ken Goddard
N.2300

Ken Goddard (Guest)

Its a good idea, Paul. A serious coaching session with a class expert is a must for the area in 2008.
Although the intention will be to welcome boats of all ages, why not launch this initiative at this year's eagerly awaited Vintage + 4-plank event at Trent Valley on Sept. 22nd ?
Regards
Ken Goddard
N.2300

Ken Goddard (Guest)

Regards
Ken Goddard
N.2300

Ken Goddard (Guest)

Regards
Ken Goddard
N.2300

janeysailor12

What a good idea Paul.  There are only 2 12's at our club (North Staffs)...there were 3 but "Fuzzy Duck" has moved on, however although the water area at our club is fairly restricted (as in small) it is ideal for 12 sailing and we are rarley not in the top 3 as far as the results go. I am also the Vice Commodore of our club and so I will print off your suggestion and take it with me to the next meeting. I'll let you know what sort of response it gets.

Janey

PaulTurner 2020/2487/3157 (Guest)

Hi Janey! And sorry I missed out North Staffs - I didn't know that you had any N12s! :B

I am off on holiday until 30th August but I really would appreciate hearing from N12 yotters at Nottingham, Attenborough, Swarkestone, Blithfield, Olton etc by the time I get back so that I can take up Ken's suggestion of a launch at the TVSC vintgae/4 plank event on 22nd September. So far we have interest from TVSC (lots!) Carrsington and NStaffs.

Incidentally, there is a major mailout on it's way courtesy of Alverbank Sails to 70+ NTOA members listed as vintage or 4 plank owners within a 100 mile radius of TVSC so hopefully we will improve on the 13 boats last year! :)

Cheers, Paul

n12 Bottom Banner