National 12 - find out more...

Coaching in 2008

Started by grazz, 28 Aug 2007, 08:51

« previous - next »

grazz

tom lee

Excellent, more coaching is allways good.
One thing that would be really usefull I think is an explanation/practice of gate starts before burton week.

Tom
N3258
Tom<br />N3545

Little Bo

Some club coaching a little further north would be good

J

JohnMurrell

Grazz,

One thing missing is Tides & Currents.

From the lofty advntage point of my eyre its always sad but amusing to watch people 'going the wrong way' in the Estuary simply because they are used to sailing inland and water flow simply doesn't come into play...........    

THG

Would welcome more training, especially if spaced through the year.  We have at least half a dozen 12s dotted around the Water park and several lakes to choose from.  To maximise the support from those that prefer not to travel too far need to find out where the main pockets of 12s are and base the training on that.

Rigging up a 12 from scratch often comes up as a topic - could the association buy a cheap boat, show how to 'pimp it' (pics and video and list of parts needed) and then raffel off the boat at the end of the process / season.  Even doing an AC to DB conversion would be interesting (see other thread).  Appreciate this is a big request esp. if you want to travel around with said pimped boat.

Help for junior crews on what they need to be looking at / for would help too.

Any tips / advice on shifting the old excess pounds boat/person.

THG

PS Capsize practise, righting  and emptying
THG

philipcosson

Northampton's up North in'it?

All good suggestions from THG -

Rigging is a particular issue - I am frankly scared of rigging my new boat! There is also a whole science to packing up your boat for traveling.

Coaching would be greatly enhanced by video and debriefs while watching the video.

Regards

Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

Ken Goddard (Guest)

Graham, I think we need a coaching session in the East Midlands, drawing in an excellent initiative proposed by Paul Turner. I don't want to stick my neck out too far but I'm pretty sure that Trent Valley would be happy to host such a coaching session agian.

By the way, I still have the NTOA's coaching megaphone cluttering up my garage. I should be very glad if someone could take it away and make use of it!

Ken Goddard

greight expectations

Up North please- as per Little Bo - Ripon or York (or even Scaling Dam)!

Roger

simon ballantine

There is clearly a need for growth in the class and in BW attendances.  There is little growth to be had from the same old faces who make up the top 30 BW places and substantial growth can only come from new, club-level sailors (like me).  

The suggestions to incorporate much more coaching in Gill events and BW are exactly the encouragement I would need to attend these events.   Not much fun going to the trouble of moving my boat off the beach at Salcombe and spending a few grim hours on the motorway to sail on a gravel pit in the midlands, only to be thrashed by the whole fleet and learn nothing new.  

Grazz's suggestions are excellent.  I do not think that the exact subject matter is all that important...there is so much to learn and content will depend on who is doing the coaching / weather / venue.  

From my perspective, coaching should play an even bigger part in Gill and BW events than grazz suggests.   My ideal BW format would be for 2 days of intensive coaching, followed by a 4 day race format, which itself incorporates coaching and briefings.  That way I would still be getting something out of it, even if I didn't win the Burton Cup.

THG

Simon agree that we need more help for Club level sailors but I would say that if you attend any event where you sail against different 12s sailors you always learn somthing new!  Generally you'll find a few people at a similar level that you can start to have close racing against (the more we have the better this will be).  I like the idea that other classes have of gold / silver / bronze fleet so no matter what boat you have you can aim to move up the divisions so to speak.  At the events you can see how others set up their boats and no doubt you'll get some free advice on what to do to improve.  The problem I find is remembering how to do that every time!  Can be a pain getting boats from Clubs and travelling but once there the 12s are definetly friendly - even meeting up at service stations can be entertaining.

We do need to listen more to what club sailors want to encourage more attendance.  I know its not easy balancing family / sailing and I haven't done as many events as I planned and it can be easy to get out of the habit - I just realised the last time I sailed was July 11th!!  I'm certainly not in the top of the fleet but I know that the travelling and sailing has improved my results (at times).

THG
THG

paul turner

Very interesting thread this!

Grazz - thank you for taking up the batton on this; from my point of view the Burghfield training day this year was brilliant!

THG point 4 - getting groups of local clubs together must surely be a way of not only having sufficient prople together to justify a training session, but sadly there is not much reponse to my thread on a local east midlands club series which would include training but would also boost the N12 profile at each individual club (and maybe encourage more people to sail 12s). But surely we should also help our own club sailors by doing boat swaps, experienced crews going out with novice helms etc? And what about getting the kids into N12s - they all seem to sail single handers and many are lost to sailing coz them would rather crew than helm - and they seem to have less fun/social interaction as they don't get to learn team work. Can we not hook up to organisations like Derbyshire Youth Sailing and let the kids have a sail in a 12?

Ken - although TVSC is not "up north" we would happily host a training session, as part of a em club series or stand alone.

BW - the thought of an intensive week of huge hours of hard slog on the water every day with the high powered boyz/gurlz in their F1 carbon yots disappearing over the horizon after ten minutes may just be putting off the inexperienced and/or older helms, the AC/4 plank/vintage/club boat owners and the pond/ditch crawlers (you can guess which of several classifications I belong to although I did three BWs in the late 60s, early 70s which is why I go to NWNW!) Being a fairly hopeless sea sailor I might be tempted to BW if there were a day or twos training and fast and slow fleet starts.

P

James Taylor

Grazz

The coaching at Burghfield earlier in the year was great and as a class we do need to do more again well done to Graham and Zoe for organizing this looking forward to trying to get to some as we need it!!!

Paul I would be upset if there was a fast slow start but may be a Gold, Silver, Bronze, Fleet idea would help I think the Buddy system worked well this year ( Thank you again Caroline as when she sailed past us pre start lots of advice coming our direction which is great and has sunk in )

ChrisBerkley

grazz

Thanks for the comments everyone. It sounds like there is interest for coaching in many places around the country. We'll try and do our best to spread the events and get an event up North and also in the Midlands.

Happy learining

Graham

n12 Bottom Banner