National 12 - find out more...

3309 - Silent Knight

Started by Simon, 30 Sep 2007, 06:40

« previous - next »

Simon

I've just bought 3309 today (30/09/07) from Robert Smith who sailed her at Shustokes SC. Current name is 'Silent Knight', that might change as we have a few good ideas for a new name (well we think so!). I must say I'm chuffed with my new boat, she appears to be in excellent condition for her age.

I've not sailed for many, many years but it will be good to get back on the water to teach my daughter how to sail. I just hope she enjoys it just as much as I will!

I'll be sailing her in the handicap fleet at Delph Sailing Club, Bolton if anyone fancies joining us.

I suspect that the hull is epoxied and has then been painted with a 2 pack paint. Over the winter months I'm going to repaint her. Having never worked with a 2 pack paint before does anyone have any advice about repainting her? Should I remove all the old paint back to the epoxy? Can removers such as nitromors be used or is it just good old elbow work and much sand paper!

Any other advice will be greatfully received.

Cheers

Simon

PS There is a couple of other pics of her in the database.

Roly Mo

Hi!

It's only a short trip over the M62 to Ripon SC for their open this Saturday, and to Yeadon SC for their open on Sunday.  Even if you don't feel like racing why not come over and see us?  We'd be delighted to see you there.  Will add you to our email list so you keep up to date with all that's happening in the North.

Bernard aka Roly Mo

DavidW

I've worked with 2 pot for many years -
if it's sound you may as well leave it there  - just fllat it back with fine glass paper if you need to go a long way (a random orbital sander works very well) and wet and dry.

Wet and dry used wet will get you a superfine finish ( use 320 grit and finer). Go over it again very lightly with wet & dry used dry to give it a key. Mix the paint and leave it for 20 mins to allow the bubbles to rise. While you're doing this you can go over the boat with a tack rag to remove any dust. If the weather is cold put the paint on a radiator to warm it up a bit and help it flow. ( I used to use wet & dry wet with an orbital sander and rubber gloves as I was told water and electricity weren't supposed to mix - I never had any shocking problems but i'm not recommending this!)
Make sure you've got dust free clothes and hair! Keep the temperature up a bit whilst you're working.

Use a good quality brush (some use pant pads or rollers - I haven't but have seen some excellent finishes that have been achieved with them)
If you're using a brush make sure that you don't change direction with the brush in contact with the boat or you may get bubbles. Build up the coats making sure that you keep inide the overcoating time that you can without rubbing down until you're ready for the final coat. Flat dwn what you've done with wet & dry as above then very carefully apply the final coat as above.

I seem to recall that I could get two coats out of a tin paint.

Oh yes - the fumes are a bit unpleasant and unhealthy so make sure that the space is ventilated. beware of some plastic handled items which can disolve on contact with the paint or thinners - similarly the pots you use to mix it in ( if you know anybody mixing baby milk the tins are perfec

If you do have any unused paint it will keep overnight in the 'fridge (advised to ask permission frst or make sure it's out before she looks!).

Happy painting

Cheers

David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

Simon

Bernard, thanks for the invite over to Ripon. However I'll be getting ready to receive my new play thing and the garage really does need cleaning out before she comes!

David, thanks for the advice on 2 pack paint. That's just the sort of advice I need.

Thanks again.

Simon

gerry ledger

Hi Simon your new boat is a crusader 88 wich I built. You may find that the bottom is glass sheathed on the outside so be carfull not to go through this. You may also want to get rid of the centre main, not many get on with this as it restricts movement to much.Good luck nice to see the boat in good nick!!

Gerry 3287

Phil Brown

Simon

I would thoroughly clean the surface first with a solvent to remove any contaminants then rub down with 320 W&D used wet. Allow to dry, vacuum the surface and the floor and then rub over with a tack rag immediately prior to painting

I've had excellent results with 2 pot applied with a short haired 4" roller laid off immediately with a 2" foam brush which gave an immediate mirror finish which stayed. Because it is quick to apply this way, there isn't a problem maintaining a wet edge on the paint. I used Epifanes 2 pot and it was Tim Rudin at Marineware that suggested the method of application and it worked a treat!

Good luck and happy painting
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

Simon

[quote by=Phil_Brown link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool1,m=1191174004,s=5 date=1191229567]I've had excellent results with 2 pot applied with a short haired 4" roller laid off immediately with a 2" foam brush which gave an immediate mirror finish which stayed.[/quote]

Phil,

This all sounds a bit weird to me, I've only ever used brushes for painting! I'll have to get in touch with you when I'm ready to start painting for a bit more info form you.

Thanks

Simon

greight expectations

Quote from above "Use a good quality brush (some use pant pads or rollers - I haven't ...."  just stick to brushes I say

Roger

Phil Brown

I was sceptical about using brushes believing that they were always the best method of application. Undoubtedly the professional can get a mirror finish with a brush but as a mere mortal I've always found it difficult to avoid runs etc.

I hadn't tried this method before but Marineware are the UK agents for Epifanes so I was prepared to give it a go. As Mark says, the roller allows you to quickly work out the paint to an even coat which helps avoid runs and maintains a wet edge over the whole hul. A roller on its own leaves an orange peel finish but the trick is the foam brush just pulled lightly once over the surface.

The effect is magic but beware, it's so smooth, it will show up any imperfections in the surface underneath. The finish and ease of application were so good, I wouldn't dream of doing it any other way now.
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

DavidW

Just  a quick word of caution regarding fillers - I once thought I'd use Tertrion as a fine surface filler. This was a disaster! The paint disolved the filler and I eneded up having to remove the resulting mess.
Use a decent epoxy filler!

Cheers
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

n12 Bottom Banner