National 12 - find out more...

N3200 Baggy T on ebay

Started by THG, 03 Oct 2007, 11:04

« previous - next »

THG

THG

Rod

is the Baggy typical of the other designs in how it handles / performs, for someone new to 12's?

Ideally have been looking out for a Crusader, but when boats come up I keep missing then.

Before splashing out on a double bottom, would be nice to spend some time in a 12.

- --
Rod,  UK

John Meadowcroft

From 1983 until 1996, Burton Week was won 9 times by a Baggy, 3 times by a Crusader and twice by a Design 8.  The Baggy is arguably the ultimate Admirals Cup boat.  Often sailed very light, and argued to be harder to sail than the Crusader, but devastatingly quick downwind.

Over the same period the Baggy won the Burton Cup 7 times, compared to 5 by the Crusader, and one each for the Freak Out and the Final Chapter.

In 1997 the first double bottomed boats appeared.  The winner of the Burton Cup and the Week..... was a Baggy.

This is a bargain.

Rod

I'm overweight and on a smallish lake, suiting a crusader better for me I believe?

Looking through the results, baggys do fair well, but ( and maybe as you expect to win prestige events ) all in the hands of top helms.

Is the downwind speed hiding a flawed design for upwind speed?

I'm not suggesting its not a bargin - hence considering it, even if not ideal for me, would be something I can try and then claim to the wife its my deposit on a DB, making the DB appear cheaper.

- --
Rod,  UK

Roly Mo

Would be delighted to do a deal on our Cheshire Cat (need to make space in garage as daughter has designs on another boat).  Great boat for inland waters and a good boat to get started in - she was my first 12 and I've had tremendous fun with her over the last few years.  You can tell your wife that she was my 'starter for 10' - I've now got a DB boat!

Email me with your contact details if you are interested in finding out more. :)

Bernard

THG

Rod my first 12 was a Baggy T - got used to sailing a 12 but then changed to a Crusader.  I'd support what others have said the Baggy is faster off wind and is harder to tack and sail in light winds.  But if you just want to get a cheap boat to gte going and then go to a DB don't see why this isn't an option - if you do a few Opens you won't just be sailing on your local water - then you can get to see / try out other 12s too.

THG
THG

Mike S (Guest)

Rod - You have lots of options it would seem. After all this you want to pay more for a Crusader with some carbon bits and newer sails, drop me an email to mike<dot>storey<at>virgin<dot>net

N3274 is available - just have not got round to advertising it yet. Located SW London/Surrey border.

Mike S
N3491
N3274  

Mike S

Email address is showing wrong. Should be

mg dot storey at virgin dot net

Mike S
N3491
N3274

DavidW

Baggies don't carry weight quite as well as Crusaders - I had a new Cheshire Cat built at the time that Baggies came about and had  some good success against them at on rivers, small lakes and Salcombe. If you're towards the top of the weight range I'd avoid a Baggy for that reason alone - they're quick on all points of sailing otherwise.

Good luck - where's your small lake?

Cheers
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

Martin

Rod

Thanks for all the advice

- --
Rod, &nbsp;UK

FuzzyDuck

aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

Rod

I'm out the country for three weeks, will certainly be getting in touch with the various boats that came out of the woodwork in this thread, when I get back

- --
Rod, &nbsp;UK

n12 Bottom Banner