National 12 - find out more...

Split main setup - need more twist.

Started by Jimbo41, 19 Sep 2007, 02:02

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

Hi!
Can anyone advise on split main setup? How many blocks do you need etc. and what' s the ideal distance apart for the split ends? We've got a dynema horse at the moment that's too narrow and I can't develop enough main twist - as - inter alia - evidenced in our abysmal efforts going upwind at BW this year - not to mention being overweight, having an unmotivated and "tender" 1st. crew who almost threw in the towel at the practice race until I promised her that the wind would drop at the start of the fisrt offical race (which, luckily, it did) etc etc winge winge  :-/

Anyway, if anyone could post a pic of a typical setup, I'd be very grateful. I could then translate that into a setup where in our case the transom's pretty much not in existence.

Thanks!   :)

Jim N3470 (Passion Pudding) - I'm looking a lot less pudding now  

jammy dodger

Jim, you will need to be careful on length as I guess the standard set up will assume the boat has a stern where pudding has a hole!
Best check with Dare if I was you before making/ordering
Simon

Jimbo41

Thanks Jim and Simon. I've been looking at a few Pics. The questions to ask are: 1)How far apart should the split be across the transom?  and 2) How long should each split be? I guess the second is partly dependent on the first, but the problem remains to determine the length, it being nice I suppose to still have twist even when the boom is at the centre-line. ???? My old Nutty Shell Tigress has a split arrangement which is really a second horse which the mainsheet is simply knotted on to. If I buy up some dynema I can experiment with the required length of the split ends as well as their positions on the transom, but I don't want to make too many (new) holes in the yot. Any (further ) advice greatly received  :D

Cheers!

Jim. N3470 (Passion Pudding)

Jimbo42

Boing! Not easy this problem....

n12 Bottom Banner