National 12 - find out more...

vintage pictures

Started by tonyelgar, 07 Oct 2007, 03:14

« previous - next »

tonyelgar

Has anybody got some recent pictures of some vintage 12's? i' m in the process of slowly restoring one and would like to see what other people have done with them.

Cheers
ex 2760/3255

mack2

Hi There,

I have N693 and could supply some pics if you let me know which areas are of particular interest I will concentrate on those! All the best.

Mack
N2966 & N693

tonyelgar

I ve got to deck the entire boat so the side decks, and fore deck, and a cuple of general pictures would be great. mine is 1216, saved her from a chap wanting to turn her into a fishing boat!??!
ex 2760/3255

Richard

1216 is a Proctor Mk 2 there are some good pictures in the Designs guide of the deck lay out. Hope this helps. :)

Bob Murrell (Guest)

I partially re-decked N1475, Star Dust last year. See link to Chipstead SC for photos etc. http://www.chipsteadsc.org.uk/gallery/Star%20Dust%20Renovation/index.html
The article was reproduced in the latest Ratchet.
Any use?
Bob
N1475 N3435

tonyelgar

bob,
 good job there, its given me some great ideas, the hull i have currently has no original decking so your photos have given me some good starting points!
ex 2760/3255

Bob Murrell (Guest)

Glad the photos help! A good tip is to firstly mock up the decks in cheap hardboard to get the shape you need and then use these to mark out the real ones on the marine ply. I cut the ply (4 mm) using a sharp stanley knife - cut oversize slightly and then carefully plane / file to the correct shape constantly offering up to the boat to check the fit. Enjoy yourself!
Bob

Howard C (Guest)

Hi  
What area are you in please?  I have step by step pictures of re-decking my Starfish but they are prints and a lot of work to scan and email etc.  If you are anywhere near Yorkshire they may be of help though.  Howard C Vintage 12 Representative N2, N2266 and N3356

Dave Croft

Tony,

I might be worth posting a message on the Merlin Rocket web site, they have a big vintage following and I know several boats have recently been re-decked and restored. Most vintage Merlins were built by the same boat builders as 12's and used the same techniques. They are a helpful bunch and I'm suure they will have some good advice (even if you may get the odd comment like add 2ft to the length!).

Dave

tonyelgar

Im on the south coast at present so thanks howard but im a bit far away! I might try the merlins but i ve got a good gist from the photos of 'stardust', she seems to be very similar!

Thanks for all the posts there!
ex 2760/3255

JohnMurrell

Tony,

I currently have the decks off and centerboard case out of 2632, a Rowsell 7 plank Doll.

You say you are on the south coast so if you fancied a trip to Ivybridge to have a look and talk your project over a coffee you are more than welcome.

Had an interesting conversation with Spud Rowsell the other day regarding all of the rebuilding / decking going on in the Twelve / Merlin fleets. He is doing a similar project himself on Frankie's old Cadet! Spuds first question was how had the glue held out? It appears that all the hulls have survived the test of time and very few plank joints have failed, however the same can not be said about the decks. It would appear that Aerolight, which he used, was fine when compressed into the ply when the hulls were planked and clamped up but deck joints which weren't subjected to the same sorts of compression are pulling apart. From my own experience I would agree with him - Dinsdale's hull is completely sound but I was able to simply pull the decks and inwhales straight off and I can almost use them as patterns for their replacements. Also all the deck stringers have become unglued too.

Looks like an interesting winter coming up...............................

tonyelgar

thanks all, it has been much help. Just bought a cheshire cat for actually sailing in so this last week i ve put the vintage on a bit of a back burner!
John thanks for the invite i ll have to let you know on that one, but i would be very interested to see given the time (work etc  :(    )

ex 2760/3255

JohnMurrell

And interestingly I was the owner Grimalkin myself a few years ago....................

I will put some of the history of her on the boat page once I get my brain together!

TheChannelRat

Hi John
I've just read this forum on re-decking and was surprised to see your sail number as I own N2635 another 7 plank china doll  Regards Bob

n12 Bottom Banner