National 12 - find out more...

Sails talk....

Started by Jeremy C, 06 Feb 2008, 10:00

« previous - next »

Jeremy C

Having owned our foolish for almost a year and sailing with 2003 sails we are now considering a new suit but are a bit undecided with what to go for. Our current sails are Rowsell's and our main is very full which we love off the wind but we have always struggled to point to any degree. Not too sure if this is down to the sail being old, our rig tuning, or the fact that the main is so full.
Would welcome a discussion about the merits of different sail makers sails to help us in our bid to improve!
I think John Murrell had our sails made so if you have any views John, we would welcome them. It is a big purchase for us and being new to the fleet and having choices over sail makers and cuts is a little daunting!

We are around the 20stone mark in the boat
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

broz

The big question is were do you sail most, do you need to point and close- reach, or do you need to power off wind?.

We sail at Rutland, we only close - reach once or twice a year.(if were lucky). We need a boat and sails that will power through a chop and broad - reach and run well.

Our present sails,(new last Sept.) are Mac's, we have 23 stone plus in the boat and I know Mac. doe's not beleave in cunninghams, with our weight we dont need a cunnigham.

WE are new to 12's so dont know much about who sails with what, but Tom at P & B has done a fantastic job with the Merlin sails and He sails 12's to.

;)

James Taylor

Thats a difficult one to answer there are lots of factors to consider as well as cut, Last year we brought two complete Suits of Sails from Alverbanks part of my disision was how long I want them to last. i got a really really good deal with Kevin and the back up from him has been brill, We had a lot of problems with rig set up .I.E. taken most of the year not sure we are all the way there yet but we are on our way. ;D ;D
James
N3402

MikeDay

Jeremy

Agreed, it is a big investment, though also an exciting one as it usually means better performance.  I think it's fair to say that the Class now has two primary sailmakers - Alverbanks and P&B with Rowsell some way third.   Kevan and Tom have made more sails for Twelves and have more experience than anyone else, so unless you have a conviction that a new approach is needed and a clear idea of what that might look like, the safest way to invest is to buy their knowledge and guaranteed quality product.  They are thinking about sails and performance all day every day and I know that I cannot begin to match that level of understanding.  I'm sure that both will be happy to talk through your requirements and guide you towards the best solution for your weight/mast/hull combination.  Beyond that, you'll have some choices about price based on materials options and you'll make your own mind up about who offers the best pre- and post-sales service.

It's not a very exciting approach but you will be on the water safe in the knowledge that you've got a great suit of sails on the boat.

Mike D
N3496

BobMurrell

Jeremy C

Thanks for your comments,...... this is exactly the sort of assistance I have been after!
Still have a fair bit of thinking to do but have the inklings of an idea forming in my head about where to go ...!
Cheers!
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

John Meadowcroft

Jeremy - what mast do you have?

Jeremy C

We have a super spars mast

John Meadowcroft

For a Superspar I would advocate either P&B or Alverbanks as being the most proven.  Rowsell are definetly proven with the Angell mast but less so with the Alverbanks.

John

n12 Bottom Banner