National 12 - find out more...

My first N12 capsize

Started by Alistair Edwards, 08 May 2008, 08:51

« previous - next »

Alistair Edwards

It has taken a while but I finally managed my first capsize in Catatonic yesterday evening. It was pretty breezy (F3/F4) and I was racing single handed. Upwind was great but on my 2nd lap I ended up going in to windward just after bearing away round the windward mark. I have capsized many times in Enterprises but always to leeward so taking a swim under the mainsail was a first for me.
I was really pleased how easily she came back up once I was on the centreboard. Much less effort than righting my old Enterprise.

There wasn't enough wind initially to drain the boat through the transom flaps so I just sailed on still swamped. After rounding the leeward mark I got stuck in irons. I backed the jib to get her to turn out of irons and unfortunately a gust caught the jib and I capsized again.

Eventually the wind became strong enough for me to try the 'sit well back and drain' on a beam reach. I probably got 75% of the water out.

In a recent race I was fully hiked and about to tack when I got hit by a serious header and found myself trapped on the sidedeck with the rig leaning over me and water pouring in over the sidedeck. My crew was surprised when I opted to drop into the river in order to avert the capsize. I scrambled back in and we carried on!

The dinghy sailors at Twickenham are watching my early attempts at racing a 12 with considerable amusement! Hopefully within a few months I will be doing the boat justice.

My early racing results are terrible but I am really enjoying 12 sailing.
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

icecreamman

Keep up with it, and the wettings that happen from time to time. As all of can testify the wettings are worth it.
:)

n12 Bottom Banner