National 12 - find out more...

Hykeham Sailing Club Open meeting 31st May/1st Jun

Started by Steve Sallis (Guest), 07 May 2008, 11:50

« previous - next »

Steve (Guest)

Mark,
Thanks for the explanation all is clear now. I'm also looking forward to the Hykeham Open. So far on this discussion group and notification by Email we have 20 boats advised they are coming and I'm sure there are quite a few more coming who have not yet advised me.
The revised Notice of Race and the Entry form should be going on the club web site hopefully tonight. It has a minor correction to the age limit for the Junior event and the accomodation list is added with a few more than were posted on this thread.
Our estemed Hon Treasurer, JP, has contacted a local Guest House, The Loudor and they are have the following:
"6 double rooms free at the moment with one twin. Costs inc buffet brekkie is £50 per room (£52 for the twin)"
Also there is a correction to the Pride of Lincoln and Ibis Hotel details as they seemed to have been merged on the previous list.

Regards,

Steve
N3436

Steve (Guest)

The slightly modified Notice of Race is now on the club web site. Age limit for juniors has been corrected to under 21. There are also links to the accommodation list and the Entry form.
http://www.hykehamsailing.co.uk/national-12-open-meeting/
Regards,
Steve
N3436

Steve (Guest)

There have been a couple of posting on the vintage thread about some competitors only able to attend one day either Saturday or Sunday and I have been asked if we will be charging the full entry fee of £20. The good news is that the entry fee for Saturday only will be  £10 and the entry for Sunday only will be £12. So if you really can't make both days why not just come for one.
Any one who is planning to come and hasn't already let me know can you please do so this week, if possible, so that we can plan for the right size of event (mainly catering). At the moment 21 have indicated they are coming and other estimates suggest up to 40 boats in total might be coming and that's quite a wide range to plan for. 
Also anyone coming just for the forum and would like a meal it would be helpful to let us know that as well.
Steve
N3436

johncheetham

Team Cheetham should be there, making a rare appearance. Might be best to have the air ambulance on standby;D

Fran G (Guest)

Steve,
Sophie and I will be there.
Looking forward to it.
Fran
3431 Zippy

Jerry G (Guest)

Jane Wade

HI
Still looking forward to it but the schedule on Sunday is not too family friendly and the rest of my family are now a bit miffed!  Four races with the last one starting at 3.00pm so looks as though we will be on the water from 9.40 am until 4.15 pm ish. 
Probably start a whole new debate but why do our Open meetings always finish so much later than other classes?  The Phantom Inlands at Northampton this weekend were all on their way home by 2.30pm, Fireballs and Scorpions are always on their way home by 3.00pm.
I realise it is 'about the sailing' but given the demographics of the class discussed in the other big thread at the moment we should be seeking to attract families.  For a young crew Sunday is looking like a pretty daunting day - especially if it turns out to be windy!
Apologies Steve for hijacking the thread - still looking forward to it!
Jane W

Steve (Guest)

Jane,
You are right it is a long day and a lot of races. We have included the Pursuit race on Sunday morning because the feedback was positive from many of the competitors at Ripon. It doesn't count towards the series and those that feel the full 4 races will be too much could consider having a lie in and arriving for the 3rd points race. I know this doesn't help those with young families who are desperate to leave early, but I guess we can try to make sure that the last race at least is not a long race and gets off on time. We could always make an ammendment to the schedule and bring the last race forward by doing the last 2 races back to back. We will try to do what we can to please as many of the competitors as we can, but I doubt we will be able to please everyone.
The Saturday schedule is also very busy as the Junior event starts after the first 2 points races, but these will be short races and I'm not sure yet whether we have any entrants for this yet.
Despite the busy schedule I hope you will still enjoy it.

Regards,

Steve 

John & Mandy T (Guest)

Happy to admit that we echo Jane's comments on the late Sunday finish.  We understand that its difficult to organise a large event over the weekend, but 3 pm last race, 4 off the water and 5 leaving the club will leave a lot of us not getting home til very late on Sunday evening.  Personally our babysitters will probably have run out of energy by tea time which will result in us having to leave earlier in the afternoon. 

If 5 races are really necessary for the event, an earlier start on the Saturday would have been preferable for us.

Really looking forward to seeing everyone and hoping we get some good sailing weather.

John and Mandy

John Meadowcroft

Comments noted and will be discussed further (not here...).  I will report back.
The Saturday night forum is to be restricted to one hour.  At the end of the day it is your Class.  Take the opportunity to be involved and move the Class on.  We will then get on with the rest of the night. 
John

Roly Mo

At Ripon last year we only had the pursuit and 2 races on the Sunday, which worked nicely and got us all off the water by 3.30pm.  Jane is right, this is not a family friendly race structure and we are coming knowing that we will be unlikely to do all the races.  The Pursuit race is great fun and it's likely that we will do that and sacrifice the 2 afternoon races, which would mean not qualifying (qualification is secondary to enjoyment and making sure Ellie enjoys her sailing).  If the class is serious about bringing youngsters along please remember that 'I went to Hykeham and had a fab time' will help, 'I went to Hykeham and it was sheer hard work' won't.  It's school the next day too . . . .  and if the prizegiving is going to be after 5pm the chances are we will miss that too. 
Mrs RM

Antony (Guest)

Steve,
Jo and I are coming after all, the babysitting issue has been resolved.  We might even look out our tent and camp as we will be without boys.. we will certainly want to fully avail oursleves of the club catering.
I agree with the sentiments above about race times, the only difference being that i should probably have noticed ages ago and suggested it was changed!
Antony
N3514

broz

Brian and Ros will be sailing in 3451. Hope to camp to.

angus

We are rather concerned about the late finish, we often don't do the last race as it is. We are pleased to hear the disscusion is being limited to 1 hour:X.
By the way team custard will be camping and eating and keeping with our boat we are veggie.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Jane Wade

Hi
Forgot to mention that Family Wade is also camping in a tent big enough to host a festival (borrowed from friends so this may in fact end up being the evenings' entertainment watching us try to put the thing up!!!).  Are you going to run out of space Steve?

Jane

n12 Bottom Banner