National 12 - find out more...

Turning Over

Started by Alistair (Guest), 05 Jun 2008, 02:30

« previous - next »

Alistair (Guest)

I am about to turn my 12 over to start sanding.  Is there anything I should be particulary carefull about other than ensuring it sits on the tyres ok and its not likely to move as such.
Any one know of any easy way to do this?
Thanks

Alistair Edwards

You will find the sanding and painting a lot easier if you can raise the boat up off the ground by a couple of feet. I do this by sitting my boat on a couple of substantial pieces of wood supported by 4 chairs. If you are worried about damaging your newly varnished decks just put some padding between the decks and the lumps of wood.

Working at ground level is very hard on the back and the knees.
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

Chadders

Two people can easily turn a 12 over, an old duvet on the floor is handy.  Role her gently up on edge and get someone to balance her whilst you nip round and lower her down.  Make sure the floor is clear of any bits first though as resting on any lumps can damage the wood.  Then lift her up to a good working height as above.  Not sure how old your boat is but if she is modern and wide you ned a tall ish assistant, my wife is just over 5ft so its a stretch to reach the top gunwhale on a modern boat to balance the boat.  On the other hand if she is vintage and has a steel plate it is best to remove the plate when you get her on edge as most metal plates only locate on a slot over the pivot bolt and can fall out if the boat is upside down.  Same comment applies if you turtle an old boat, Ian Purkis lost a steel plate at Ripon last year!  Howard C aka Chadders Nvarious.

Jim Bretherick at home (Guest)

I put mine on 4 tressels and cover the ridge of each tressel with split PU foam pipe insulation. That way you won´t get scratches and the boat will sit where it´s put.
Cheers! 

Jim N3470

Alistair (Guest)

Thanks one and all, it is a vinatge .... I think its called "Joan" but i am failing to get any history about her.  Sounds preety much as I had expected. I guess now the work can begin in earnest.

Thanks again

johnk

Ian Purkis's adventure last year suggests that crews have lost the art of putting stopper knots in ropes!

n12 Bottom Banner