National 12 - find out more...

N2470 Tangler

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 04 Apr 2007, 11:11

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N2470 Tangler.   Design: China Doll, designed by: Phil Morrison in 1967
Original boat name: Khazad Dum

Jonathan

The boat was mainly sailed at the harefield sailing base by brother and I as we were members of Abbotsfield School sailing club. We last sailed her in 1981/83, also when I can find some pictures of us sailing herI will scan and upload them.

David White

Appropriate that she should have been sailed by brothers in the early 80's. The sister boat to my own (N2472) built in tandem by Wyche & Coppock  she was originally called "Shadowfax" and was sailed very fast by the Crosby twins - Neil and Ian - from Beeston SC, when we were still at school in the late 60's / early 70's.  

MikeDay

- and I bought the boat from Neil Crosby in around 1976 and enjoyed it for 3 or so years.  Like the original China Doll, it had a knuckle at the front.  Having replaced the centre thwart, which was full of holes, I then kept the old thwart and used it for patching and making mounts for fittings.  A bit of the original 2470 has therefore been built into every 12 that I ever owned since then except my current boat.

Mike D
N3496

MikeDay

Found this in the attic recently - taken at Hickling Broad in around 1978, I think.  The previous year, sailing with Neil Crosby, we finished in the top 20 in the Three Rivers Race after about 18 hours continuous sailing (and not many 12s have done that, I guess).  The following year, determined to do better, we had another go but had to retire after about four hours when we got to Hickling because of gear failure.  This photo was taken as we came ashore.

Mike D
N3533

Martin

I can remember family holidays in those Houseboats back in the 70s with my Father's Heron tied up to the balcony!8)

n12 Bottom Banner