National 12 - find out more...

Ranelagh open 29th June cancelled

Started by MikeDay, 09 Jun 2008, 11:43

« previous - next »

MikeDay

Sorry to say that we've heard from Ranelagh that, due to insufficient people being available on the day to run the event, they've had to cancel it for this year.

Apologies to anyone who was making arrangements to be there.

Mike D
N3496

Richard

With the loss of this event, would there be a possibility of another club in the Thames area holding an "open" event on this day perhaps as an additional start to normal club racing?
No prizes involved just points for the Thames series.
Richard
N2399:)

David_Wilkins

The loss of Ranelagh this year makes it all the more important that you all get to Spinnaker this weekend to accumulate your Thames Area Scores.

Sad though - I was looking forward to it.

Cheers
David Wilkins<br /><br /><br />Ex 925, 2433,2730,2825,3139,3345.3405,3481

Alistair Edwards

I am sounding out a few people at Twickenham to see whether we could offer to host the cancelled Ranelagh event. At this stage I cannot make any promises but I should be able to confirm whether this is viable within 24 hours.
Perhaps those people who planned to sail at Ranelagh could let me know whether they would be interested in coming to Twickenham?
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

David_Wilkins

Definitely interested - the winds there seem to have favoured me more frequently than at Ranelagh!
You all still need to plan to come to Spinnaker just in case Alistair doesn't manage to pull this off!

Cheers

Richard

Alistair, Emily and I would definately to come to Twickenham with Mr.Jones if you manage to run an event.:)

MikeDay

Alistair

Thanks for looking into this as a possibility. I had planned to sail at Ranelagh and would also come to Twickenham on the same day.  If your club is willing to do that, I'll approach Nick Price and ask him if he's prepared to make their trophy available for it.  In practice, this is with Dave W at the moment as last year's winner.

We wouldn't need to worry about place prizes - just an open meeting format and a separate start time from other club racing at Twickenham on the day would suffice.

Mike D
N3496

Alistair Edwards

Mike. I have sounded out the relevant folks at TYC and everyone is in favour of my suggestion, so lets go for it.
I am not sure if all the Open meeting regulars check the forum regularly so perhaps you could e-mail the potential participants? Any idea how many boats might turn up?

Our Sunday morning sessional race starts at 10.30 so we could start the first 12 race at 11am and run it on a slightly different course from the club racing. 2 races in the afternoon run back to back.

Launching would be done from the White Swan hard as per usual.
I can organise lunches and the bar will of course be open.

Alistair
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)

David_Wilkins

Hmm!

We'd just got to thinking we could hold on to the beautiful trophy for another year without having to prove worthy of it!!!
Seriously though - a great idea. Well done Alistair.
Hopefully Ranelagh won't mind.

Cheers

Richard

David_Wilkins

Does this have Ranelagh's approval now?

MikeDay

I have now spoken to Nick Price who has taken soundings from within the club.  They appreciate Twickenham's offer but feel that they would rather look for another date for thier meeting later in the season when they can host the Ranelgh open for their trophy.  I have given some possible dates to Nick and we'll see if we can find one that fits with the tide.

So, the conclusion is that we won't be running the meeting at Twickenham on the 29th in any formal sense - for a trophy or Thames Area points.  But I'm sure if Richard or others wanted to approach Twickenham to see if they could sail there as a guest on that day, Twickenham might be receptive, in the light of the way they responded earlier.

Mike D
N3496

Alistair Edwards

Further to Mike Day's post I can confirm that we would be delighted to welcome visitors at Twickenham on Sunday 29th (or any other Sunday).
As Ranelagh have now been able to reschedule their Open meeting we will just be running our normal Sunday morning race (class racing for N12, Enterprise and Solos) on June 29. Our Sunday morning races start at 10.30.

If anyone does fancy a sail at Twickenham on that day perhaps you could let me know so that we can arrange to meet you and help you with launching etc.
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)

Dave Croft

Hi Alistair,
Rosemary and I may be free from Cadet duties that Sunday so we'll try and get along, in fact we are coming down this Wednesday to see if we can join the club and race on wednesday evenings (assuning TYC will have us!). Will you be there this Wedesday?
Cheers, Dave

Alistair Edwards

Hi Dave,
I look forward to seeing another 12 out on Wednesday evenings.
I will be down at TYC this Wednesday but I may not be sailing. As part of Twickenham Festival we are offering motor boat trips round Eel Pie island and I may have to help out with that. If I don't sail I will see you at the bar.
Alistair
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)

n12 Bottom Banner