National 12 - find out more...

Centreboard

Started by mutt, 22 Jul 2008, 12:36

« previous - next »

mutt

7.1 when fully lowered the centreboard shall not protrude more that 1070mm
why?

Tim Gatti

A glib answer would be - ' cos it's the rule'!  (see also your query on sheerline)
Many of these were written back in 1936 when the Class was founded to create an agreed framework within which development could take place.
No reason for not querying them though and the Class has experimented with no centreboards and daggerboards as you will know.
I suspect the max c'board length measurement is a combination of technical design considerations (resistance to leeway etc), proportional aesthetics- length of centreboard case required, strength/weight ratio of available materials and depth of water at typical venues.
Hopefully the more enlightened can give you a more specific answer. Tim

John m

What do you propose?  It does not appear unreasonable to have a maximum. 

mutt

I am wondering whether this rule is needed. Centreboard length would seem to be self limiting i.e within good sense and within the waterline length of the boat - so is the rule really necessary. I personally think we'd be better off without this rule (and a mumber of other peripheral rules) if we want to reinvigorate experimentation.

martin 1262

I can see where where you are going on this...personally given the amount of weed in the water this year, I think the current maximum length is plenty long enough. Anything too long only serves to grind you to a halt!>:(>:(

Lukepiewalker

Looking at where 505's have gone with HA boards, apparently not self limiting at all....

THG

Whilst on centreboards - if you comply with 7.2 there is no need for 7.4 as you cannot have the centreboard exposed below the hull per 7.2 (when fully raised), at least as I'm reading it.
THG

Lukepiewalker

I beleive 7.4 is related to the raising process itself, as in if you raised it so far then slid it forward a bit to get the last bit in.
It's probably all part of the d******b***d bannage.

n12 Bottom Banner