National 12 - find out more...

Has anyone seen a Warlock (design) recently?

Started by ken goddard, 14 Jul 2008, 10:22

« previous - next »

ken goddard

The Warlock design was of GRP construction with a foam sandwich hull. She was designed and built by Don Woof and 32 were built. Probably the only really successful boat was N.2571, which won the Points Championship in 1972 and high placings in the Burton and Points Trophy in the years 1971-73, sailed in all by Chris Edwards.
32 boats were built but no present member of the NTOA apparently has one. Only 5 boats are recorded on the DataBase; three of these entries are of boats having been broken up and two mention being owned in early years. Where are all the other 29 now? Being of GRP, one would think a few would have lasted to the present day. Has anyone seen one?
Ken Goddard 

DavidG (Guest)

Not sure if they would have stood the test of time, there were two at Aldenham 25 years ago that were very heavy and being composite the decks were in poor shape.  Nosedived a bit too!

Fuzzy Duck (Guest)

There was one sold on ebay a few weeks ago.  Cant remember the number, but the hull was white. I intended to bid for it as I learnt to sail in a Warlock at Rudyard, but got my days mixed up and when I went online she had sold for about £180.
I rememeber the Warlock being very fast in light winds.
So there is at least one out there....but would it qualify as a vintage?
Simon

David_Wilkins

There used to be one at Henley SC as a club boat - Penny Spender (2612 if I recall). I don't know if its still there.
David Wilkins<br /><br /><br />Ex 925, 2433,2730,2825,3139,3345.3405,3481

Martin

I am sure that there was one kept at Morston (North Norfolk) a few years back but I haven't seen it recently.  It was uncovered and as I recall looked fairly sound

THG

Ken - looks like there may be one locally N2642 - need to check it out more to confirm the actual boat number and builders plate as the sail number may have been passed to me.  See new thread under Paper Dart for sale!!
THG

Dave Croft

Penny Spender was saved and put back into commission by Steve Gent for his son to use a few years ago. It might be worth asking Steve if the boat is still around, his number should be in the book. There was also one at Tamesis, it was there a year ago, the decks were in very bad shape but all the bits where there. Sadly it was the last N12 regularly sailed at this famous old club.
Warlocks always had weight issues and struggled to meet the minimum when it was around 90Kgs! The boats were built by Don Woof, I think his son (Richard) now runs RMW marine on Portland and is building some exotic craft. Dave C

n12 Bottom Banner