National 12 - find out more...

Hiya Everyone!

Started by Dave.blakesley, 02 Sep 2008, 11:41

« previous - next »

Dave.blakesley

Hi everyone, forum newbie here saying hi! Me and my friend have just acquired 2859 (dogmatic) which we found dumped in the back of the boat park at our sailing club. Unfortunately theres some important bits missing!! We have 2 suits of sails for it, however, they are both completely knackered, and we dont have a top cover. Is there anyone with any of these bits (second hand) who would be willing to part with them? (we are willing to pay but being only 17 and 18 we cant afford brand new ones!!). By the way, if any one is interested we have a blog detailing our restoration of the 12 at dogmatic2859.blogspot.com. Thanks in advance, Dave :)

Jane Wade

Hi
Welcome!  Which sailing club?  I am sure someone out there will have the stuff you need second hand.
Good luck with the restoration.
Jane
Crew of 3512

Dave.blakesley

Thanks, we're at Bury Lake in Hertfordshire, really only a small puddle but a great club with a good atmosphere! Cant wait to get the boat finish and start doing events ;D Dave

MikeDay

Welcome to Twelves.  There are three suits of second sails on the 'bits for sale' part of this site, at various prices.  My guess is you'll be pushed to find a suitable second-hand cover.  Unlike sails, covers don't make a boat go faster so people only discard them when they're really beaten up.  Covers are pretty reasonably priced new and given that you're going to be spending time and money restoring your boat, you would protect the value of your investment with a decent cover.  Contact P&B for a quote. Alternatively, buy a large piece of pvc sheeting and improvise, or if all else fails, store the boat upside down outside and chocked off the ground to keep the worst of the weather out and the air circulating.

Good luck!

Mike D
N3496

Crusader 3244

Hiya to you!
I'm new to twelves too having aquired 3244 'Why Can't You!?' no more than 48 hours ago. i think this webspace and forum is fantastic and everyone is so helpful and friendly. I'm just sorting a few glitches and if all goes well I should make Olton Mere this Sat. Good luck with the restoration guys.
Chris, 3244

Dave.blakesley

thanks everyone for all of the support, advice and really warm welcome!! I think at the moment we are going to just use a sheet of PVC (thats what the boat was shrouded in when we found it) and i have looked into the bits section, particularly the set of Alderbank sails which look perfect for us. Couldn't agree more with Crusader about the helpfulness of the forum and the website. (and crusader and everyone else competing, good luck at Olton Mere on sat!)

thedodger

I'll have a look at what sails we have in storage and check out my old cover. The cover was quite badly ripped at the back end, but I reckon it could be fixed and will be better than nought. If you give me a mobile number I'll have a look and give you a call if we can help.
Simon Walworth
Jammy Dodger

Dave.blakesley

thanks for loooking thedodger, ive sent you an email with my contact details, Dave

MarkSimpson

Hi Dave
Just tried emailing you but it bounced back for some reason.  If you're still interested in the alverbank sails I've also got an undercover that you could have as well, its seen better days but would help protect you newly restored hull when you start towing it around.  email me mfsimpson at dow.com

Cheers
Mark N3472

Dave.blakesley

Hi Mark, i sent another email equipped with some contact details to you, also thedodger, is it possible my email to you (or response) had the same problem :-/? Thanks again for all the support and offers we've received, this is one of the friendliest class associations i've ever seen!! :D

EDIT: just checked with my email service provider (the RYA) and it seems that their server is currently down :(

wotno

Hi Dave
Just been looking at you blog and I think its great. 
I'm in the process of giving our 12 a good dose of TLC and wished we'd done a blog to cover her transformation.
Keep up the great work.  Looking forward to seeing the results of all your hard toil.  I hate boats - whatever their design or size - not being used and looked after.
Well done both of you, and have fun sailing her.

n12 Bottom Banner