National 12 - find out more...

Trailer Lighting

Started by John (Guest), 24 Sep 2008, 12:30

« previous - next »

John (Guest)

Can anybody comment or point me to a simple explanation of Road Vehicle Lighting regulationss as they apply to dinghies on trailers.
I light my N12 by hanging a four foot trailer board (with rudder fittings) from the transom. In itself that seems ok and common sense to me although I made a 'note to self' to check that the lights themselves are not too far inboard in relation to the boat width circa 190cm (6'3").
Of course, in transit the strap slips down the the flare of the gunwhale and so it seems a good idea to fashion a timber beam to carry the strap and secure the boat; I've seen several others rigged for transit like that.
Carrying that thought forward I wondered about fitting some repeater lights to the beam. Because I have a couple spare I wondered about fitting combined tail/stop/indicator clusters on the rear face of the beam.  In practice this would mean the trailer board would plug into the beam which would then in turn plug into the car. I'm just not sure additional tail/stop/indicatos halfway down the 'load' would comply with regs.

tedcordall

See this link
http://www.rya.org.uk/assets/legal/Web%20Documents/Legal%20Leaflets/Members%20Advice/Trailing/TRAILING%20AND%20ROOF%20RACKING%20THE%20RULES%20AND%20REGULATIONS.pdf

Essentially the lighting must be within 1m of the rearmost point of the unit, whether that is the transom or the projecting mast tip.

n12 Bottom Banner