National 12 - find out more...

Varnish Choice?

Started by Jeremy C, 13 Sep 2008, 09:20

« previous - next »

Jeremy C

I am just about to undertake the stripping and varnishing of our decks and wanted to know what varnish people might recommend. I have SP Ultravar 2000 (two pack polyeurathane) in stock but wanted to know if this is a good choice or not. I use it normally for varnishing the carbon parts but don't know what it is like for use on woodwork.  Off to southampton boatshow tomorrow where I might buy new varnish, so any advice welcome...............

Also what finish would people recommed to paint the underside of the gunwhales? Currently they are white with plenty of cracking apparent in the finish.

Cheers
Jeremy
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

DavidG (Guest)

The professionals are recommending Epiphanes 2 pack at the moment
David

wotno

I'm just finishing a repaint on our 12.  Strage timing I know in the middle of the season, but its the only time I've got access to a garage.  We've gone for the International range of paints and varnishes, mainly as we'd had good experience of them on other wooden dinghies.
We've gone for Topcoat (white) for the hull and a 2 pack poly varnish for the deck.  Bottom hull has been applied with a roller and it's to have given a superb finish.  The tops been brush applied and also has also come up great.
I'm sure any of the top range of paint and varnishes will give good results, especially if you take time in the preparation of the area first.

DB_No_1

Jeremy
You will need to check what your decks are. I think they are glass sheathed so you may need a different preparation to bare wood.

On 3415, after going down to wood, I think I used eposeal 300 first as the primer, the ultravar 2000 (both SP systems), just got 5 years out of it.

Nigel
Nigel

Jeremy C

THe foredeck is glass sheaved, but the glass was applied using 2 pack epithanes instead of epoxy, and then finished with a one pack top coat, according to the original owner. I think I know what I am going to do varnish wise now, but still looking for recommendations for the underside of the gunwhales as they are currently painted white- any offers of advice....?
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

JohnMurrell

Jemery,
The inside is painted with Blakes 2 pot Polyundercoat - its the same finish that Spud, Jon Turner, Kev Driver et all used. I am not sure if the product is still available though.
See you tomorrow?

John (Guest)

Hmm, I'm watching this thread with interest as I have to contemplate a 'back to wood' restoration of a 1984 cold moulded N12. 
Eposeal 300 appears to have excellent credentials as a first treatment to bare wood and the SP range in general seems desireable but I can't find manufacturers product information on the web. Maybe I hit upon the parent with www.gurit.com but the site doesn't seem geared to the likes of me. Maybe it's a new site that is still being constructed?
I found an article by Adrain Baker On the International OK association pages which helped to fill a thirty year gap of knowledge regarding dinghy finishing;            http://www.okdia.org/technical/manual/tm5_toug.php

John (Guest)

Thank you, Tom, for pointing out the url, I would never have thought it would be hiding beneath 'formulated' ! I'm so lazy with search results; if it doesn't return in first page then I'm too impatient!

n12 Bottom Banner