National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

National Small Boat Register

Started by Ken Goddard (Guest), 14 Feb 2007, 10:17

« previous - next »

Ken Goddard (Guest)

It may not be widely known yet that during the last year or two I have been submitting details of 'heritage' National Twelves, on behalf of the NTOA, to the new National Small Boat Register, which has been set up by the National Maritime Museum, Cornwall. In addition to completing the NMMC's rather simple proforma, I have written for each boat sent so far, a brief history of the boat and/or other reason for submitting its details, eg, for Witchcraft and Impact, the change of construction method. This all takes a bit of time; I have submitted 15-20 so far and are working on a batch more.

To continue sending enties of significant boats, I ask if anyone knows of the whereabouts (if still existing) of the first GRP Paper Dart "Stage Fright" N.2646, or the eponymous "Paper Dart", N.2690? Likewise does anyone know of the whereabouts of the original "Baggy Trousers", N.3142?

If anyone would like to see the list of the boats submitted to the NMMC so far, please e-mail me.

John Thornton

Hi Ken,

I know that N2646 is still sailing (occasionally) at Henley. I believe that the boat is still owned by Derek Gorman, but it is mainly used as a Club boat. On the river it is as competive as ever and remains in good condition, if a little heavy by todays standards.

Regards,
John Thornton N3443

n12 Bottom Banner