National 12 - find out more...
Sidebar

Comfort in DB N12

Started by Matt (Guest), 03 Sep 2007, 12:40

« previous - next »

Matt (Guest)

The reason that N3486, my home made annies apple has not been seen on the water recently is that my wife/crew says it is uncomfortable to sit in. Mostly I think she objects to the grovelling around on her knees in light winds. Can anyone suggest alterations (no matter how complicated to achieve) that could be made to make N3486 more comfortable.

As a starter I have already decided to install a raised cable routing around the centrebox in order that all cleats and ropes are out of the way. In addition I will be removing the foot steps that are used during roll tacks as they tend to cause bruises.

Are there more sensible ways of dealing with light wind sailing that having the crew in the boat?

Any thoughts welcome.
Matt

DavidW

Bob Murrell had a siimilar problem and did some major surgery - admirals cup front half with a double bottom for the helm - seems very pleased with the result - Paul turner went the whole hog and took out the floor!

Matt it's so long since we saw you I can't remember if you have  a thwart or the height of your floor. A low floor, a high boom and a high thwart seem to work well for us.

Hope to see you on the water soon!

Cheers

David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

Matt (Guest)

very interested to hear about this admirals cup/db cross breed. will have to get in touch with mr Murrell.

for the record there is no thwart (anymore) and the floor is relatively high  about 2 inches above the waterline.

Matt

Lukepiewalker

Have you tried kneepads? Might help with some of the boat related injuries. I got some specifically for when I am rescue boating as I found my knees got a pounding when kneeling at the bow.

Jimbo41

Or get hikers with them built in - the Musto range is good.

Jim. N3470

paul turner

Just to correct a point from David W - I did not take out the WHOLE floor of Crazy Diamond, only the section from the front tank back to where the helm's feet usually are. The rear floor was left intact as a bouyancy tank and the section each side of the centreboard case was also left effectively forming a further bouyancy each side of the case. The central tunnel was also left in the boat from the back of the case to the transom, so that when you capsized only holf the boat filled up and then, because there was so much bouyancy, most of the water went out the back leaving only the footwell on one side with water in it (to be dealt with by self bailers or bucket! - effectively semi-self draining. Only problem is when launching in that water does come into the boat from the transom, but it far easier to right the boat at a capsize as it does not float too high in the water. Probably a fair compromise but it is also easier to get under the boom and more comfortable for the crew especially with a thwart to sit on. For the technical stuff you would need to talk to Mike Cooke who did the work.

n12 Bottom Banner