National 12 - find out more...

Dangley poles revisited

Started by angus, 15 May 2006, 01:28

« previous - next »

angus

Got by dangley bits up and running at last. Worked at treat on the runs until a couple of Yoemen sneaked up behind me. At least when a laser 5000 does it it doesn't hang around. I sat in my own personal wind shadow while the world went by, just as well there where no Mirrors out. Never mind after Annandale last place is beginning to grow on me. Its a tactic you don't read about in the mags for getting clear air: Just wait until everybody has gone then sail round on your own ;D
On a slightly more serious point, can you get away with tieing the end of the dangley pole onto the jib or do you need the rope running down the pole, its just because of friction in my system the pole seemd to stick to the jib most of the time, which didn't cause any problems and it wouldget rid of some of the friction and wear.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Jimbo41

Angus,
I have mine attached by the chord runing through it via a shackle to the jib clew. The dangly pole is not attached directly to the clew however, the jib sheets are also attached to the jib clew via the same shackle. I don't know any other way of doing it. I think tying the pole directly onto the jib would be a waste of time if for example, you were to want to head into wind. I also think you should try and reduce friction in your system. That way the pole should slide effortlessly up and down the chord. A bit like the soothing senation of a 27 year old Ardbeg going down the gullet after a day of wonderfully satisfying broad reaches.  8) (For all you South of Watford: for Ardbeg read Pimms...  (Oh and don't forget to pass the Quische, please).  :P)

Perhaps we should leave the question to the more technically minded. Anyone out there who knows more?

Mikey C

you can, just dont overtighten the retaining bungee....
Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

MikeDay

Avoid shackles at the jib clew - they can come undone, weigh more than string and do damage when they thrash around.  I have a short length of thin spectra tied to the clew with a small plastic bobble on the end.  I just tie this to jib sheet with a double sheet bend.  I use the same method for attaching the string from the jib pole.  It always stays done up but is easy to untie when you want to.

Mike D
N3496

angus

thanks it should save me a lot of trouble trying to smooth things out.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Jimbo41

Thanks to both Mike D and Mikey C for the advice.

N3130

Jerry G (Guest)

n12 Bottom Banner